View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,289 Times in 5,594 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteDi View Post
No, C7 and other traditional incandescent lights are not going away - they are still quite popular. I am not sure why many of the big box stores have stopped offering them, but they are definitely still available online. The price should not be increasing due to lack of availability.

A lot of people feel the same as you. However, in my industry, it is impossible for me not to switch to LED lights for outdoor use, because I am too aware of the benefits. I am also clumsy, so I like that LEDs are unbreakable. But I still use incandescent Christmas lights indoors, and don't see that changing any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanetteDi View Post
I will always recommend the LED lights at ChristmsLightsEtc, because I know first hand what goes into the purchasing process and the QC. But this is what I have learned:
  • Prelamped strings are typically not as bright as bulbs and strings sold separately. Bulbs purchased separately will usually offer more diodes for a brighter light.
  • Whites need to be purchased carefully. Many value LEDs have the most awful whites available. White is also one of the most expensive LED bulb colors.
I personally love the hue of colored LEDs, so it is difficult for me to comment otherwise. The bulbs are plastic, so the color lasts, instead of fading and cracking away like painted incandescents.
I have seen LEDs in glass bulbs before, but they didn't seem to make the cut. I imagine they may have to eventually, since so many people like the look of traditional lights. I like incandescent lights indoors, but love LED lights outdoors. I imagine if I switch to LED lights on the Christmas tree, my indoors will change as well.
Thanks for the good news about incandescent lights, and for your good advice on LEDs. Until the LED color palette more closely resembles incandescent mini-lights, I'll be sticking to mini-lights. (I haven't had many problems with colors fading or cracking on mini-lights.) There's something about the color palette of LEDs that makes some bulbs look brighter than others to me (lumen-wise), so the light strings look uneven to me. Just another sign of age, I guess!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-17-2011)