View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I was raised in a 'no list' household. This was primarily because we were extremely poor and we never knew how much 'Santa' could afford to spend on us.

Seriously, to stop us asking/mentioning expensive gifts, my mom told us that Santa sent her a bill after Christmas and she had to pay him for our gifts - and, kids, Santa isn't cheap because he has to support all those Elves and they're unionized.

So, I learned to really pay attention to people, their likes, their interests and what they mention 'in passing'. I file it away for gift giving reference. I also got VERY good at dropping the occasional hint around the holidays so that people wouldn't be completely in the dark about what to get me.

As a result I was very uncomfortable when I married in the hubs family - they're a list family. I was 26 years old, married and my mother-in-law was asking me for a list. EEK! I was horribly embarrassed, had no idea what to put on there - what if I offended her by asking for things that were too cheap or too expensive. UGH! Too much stress for me.