View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
If there was a reality show for document tidbit hoarders - guess I'd be starring in at least one episode ...

Carl facts and tidbits - You know that camels prefer desert conditions and introduction into other climates have proven unsuccessful. They are not as easy to house as llamas and alpacas. Not to worry though, Carl is not a regular camel. Heís more like Santaís magic flying reindeer in how they differ from regular reindeer. The consumption of coffee might have something to do with Carlís ability to adapt to other climates aside from the desert.

He likes his caffeine. That is no surprise since there was a study done once involving three llamas and two camels that were used to determine if they could tell the difference between caffeinated and decaf drinks.They were further used to determine that their immune systems could produce antibodies that are not destroyed at the high temperatures associated with common brewed beverages (also including tea and cocoa - some guesses included eggnog blends).

So the experiment and the fact that Santa gave Carl an extra hump to store his beverages makes him adaptable to various climates and aided with his ability to consume at least a gallon of coffee a day without affecting his health.

I took Carl to visit the llamas nearby. There are four of them, three females and one male. Iím sure it will come as no surprise that Carl fancied one of the females and she fancied him. The male llama started to spit, but soon herded the other two females away from Carl so he could not take over his place among them.

Carl and Clarice caught along quite well. They went for a run in the field together while I chatted with the owners. They were surprised to discover a three-humped camel not to mention one that can dance and drink coffee like itís water.

We left the farm in the late afternoon and Carl wanted to stop at the JavaPlace again to fill up. There was a poetry session in progress. Carl saw my neighbour and his wife drinking pumpkin spiced coffee over near the window at a small booth for two.

He had the Camel Whisperer translate his poem for the crowd.

Carl's poem was featured during a visit to the Shispering Pines in the countdown thread - here it is again -

Ode of a Camel

The obvious plan
To frolic wherever I can.
To dream and to be
To dance Ďcause Iím free
To travel around
Where caffeine is found
To socialize with friends
Where the fun never ends
That is the obvious plan.

Here a few things Iíve noticed about Carl that I feel compelled to pass along:
He drools. He always has a little saliva hanging from his lips. Not too attractive. I gave him a dashing bandana and have taught him to wipe his mouth frequently.

He will test all limits. CedarFarm managed to get him to sleep out in the shed and several of us discovered he moves right in.

He knows how to hold and play cards and apparently learned how to drive although not that well.

He loves to dance and fancies himself a show camel with the ability to dance to different forms of music to amuse various audiences.

He likes any of the female camelids and has a slight fascination with equines. He gets along with most domestic pets as long as he knows they are there. If he is spooked, he tends to spit - just ask OíMalley the cat.

When he gets wet from the rain or melting snow, he smells worse than a dog that was sprayed by a skunk, but you get used to it.

He is fun to have around. He is sociable and outgoing - likely the caffeine keeps him moviní.

He eats the saltier and more bitter plants and bushes that other animals would find less tasteful, but anything goes at a salad bar.

I have taught him to wipe his feet before coming inside.

There is a little rebel inside Carl, but if he gets you into a jam, heíll likely have the know-how to get you out of it.

Carl loves Christmas. Itís likely because of his encounter with Santa many years ago.

The Pines Camel

There once was a Camel who had three humps
Who learned how to play cards and do funky jumps
Who traveled the world afar
Got a traffic violation when driving a car

By sweat and much molting
He makes coffee blends that are rather jolting
Heís workingí at the Shispering Pines
Where the Playhouse Opera sends shivers up our spines
While Binger works on operas & sipping blends
Others wandered in and created plaid trends.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (03-08-2012), ChristmasHeart (06-06-2012), made582 (06-06-2012), Meceka (03-08-2012), MerryCarey (03-07-2012), snowflake22 (06-07-2012)