View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,316 Times in 12,650 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
We have discussed this at length over the years here. But I wholeheartedly agree with you -- Christmas is for everyone.

I would encourage you to study the origins of Christmas, especially when it comes to the idea that Christians adopted pagan symbols and traditions. A lot of people assume -- even Christians -- that Christmas doesn't pre-date Christ, and yet, the Old Testament clearly does. Consider the words of Messiah, commonly performed each Christmas, "...and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace..."...those words are from Isaiah which are, of course, from the Old Testament.

That begs the question...where did the "pagans" get their traditions?

Of course, ancient thoughts and origins are one things.

Contemporary feelings, spiritual exploration, etc are quite another. Many are the reasons for one to chose atheism over other belief systems. That's a personal thing.

But Christmas, for whatever reason you celebrate it, is celebrated here and ALL are welcome. I hope EVERY point of view is explored and shared. That is part of what makes Christmas such a part of our lives here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful View Post
Christ Mas celebrates the birth of Jesus. Granted a lot of "tradition" is mixed in with the celebration but it does not take away from the true meaning.

Also, I am a Christian, I have a relationship with Jesus, that is the difference.
And I put up a tree, I do not "worship" my trees, they are just decorations in my home.

Christmas is in the heart. It's what each individual carries in their heart. A time set aside to celebrate the miracle and God's love for us.

Jesus was born in a manger; He is the Son of God; He is our grace; our redemption; He is the sacrifice that took away the sins for those who truly believe. Was He born Dec. 25th? No, it was most likely in the fall months according to the Jewish festivals but never the less, God came in flesh to reconcile and provide a way for us. That's what I know and may peace be with you.

what they said!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-26-2012), gabulldawg (12-03-2012), joyful (09-27-2012), merrymistletoe (10-04-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Spyells (09-26-2012), xmastidings (09-26-2012)