View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,391 Times in 5,610 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwkittens View Post
Growing up as a military brat we didn't stay anywhere for long, so visiting my grandparents in the northeast for the holidays was such a treat. Both sets had lived there most of their lives in the same homes, my grandfather had built his from local mountain stone. The longevity was such a contrast to my very nomadic life.

My grandfather, a very large and gruff man...head honcho of a local factory and big cigar affectionado would take me into the city (NYC) at Christmas. My grandmother nor parents would not go, just me and my grandfather. I would tag along behind him, running usually out of breath since he took such big strides.

He always made sure to have seats for the Radio City Music Hall Spectacular, lunch and dinner out, a trip through the department stores with all their wonderous Christmas displays and a fun train ride home. Every year I was beyond surprised that Santa KNEW HIM and was expecting me! He made sure the hot chocolate was just right, not too hot and always knew just what I wanted for Christmas.

It made the Christmas' with my dad gone, overseas and deployed bearable and obviously, memorable. My grandfather was larger than life to me, and the department stores he took me to sparkled brighter than any child could imagine or I as an adult have ever seen since.

Kat
What marvelous memories! Thank you!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
katwkittens (09-28-2012), snowflake22 (01-10-2014)