View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebellrock512 View Post
This may happen with a few of you but our family has never done anything "special" on christmas eve!
Our Christmas Eve was traditionally a big affair with a lot of gifts. Everyone would purchase something for everyone else. It made a nice scene under the tree, but it was a lot of work and too often you'd get something you didn't really like from extended family. My grandma hosts, and after my grandpa's death a few years ago we decided we should do something a little simpler. We started doing a secret santa exchange where everyone would submit a list of 3 gifts of some fixed value and we'd draw a list out of a hat on Thanksgiving and purchase for only that person. Having everyone make lists and not draw a member of their immediate family made it difficult. Now we've changed things again. Everyone still buys and wraps gifts for the kids, but the adults have a gift card exchange. The adults buy and wrap one gift card of an agreed value (for us it's $50), and we exchange through a game chosen by me. We've done a "left and right" game as well as Christmas trivia questions. After the game everyone is free to trade cards if they get one from a store or restaurant they wouldn't visit. It makes the exchange a lot more fun and less stressful.

My wife ran a similar exchange for her family where she wrote a trivia question about each member of the family. It got to be pretty funny and worked well since she was extra careful not to embarrass anyone in the questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-24-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)