Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,844 Times in 2,712 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Thanks for kicking this off, Ryan---I'll try not to make you regret it!

I like all of those, and also agree that, for me, I like the Three Stooges in small doses. In fact, most of Columbia's comedy shorts come off as a bit loud and brassy to me, although I will sometimes sit still for one or two at a time.

I also like some more obscure comedy teams that most folks haven't seen, including Wheeler & Woolsey, who were known for being pretty risque in pre-Code comedies. Their films ran the gamut from adaptations of Broadway musicals (like "The Cuckoos") to mainstream comedies (like "Caught Plastered" or "Kentucky Kernels") to totally, outrageously nuts (like "Diplomaniacs" or "Cracked Nuts"). They've been hard to find for a while, but some of their films are now available on Warner Archive DVDs.

And don't forget some of the radio comedy teams that made movies: Burns & Allen, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy---even Fibber McGee and Molly made a few movies.
TCM ran a Wheeler and Woolsey film a while back that I saw, and there were some very funny lines in it I remember. Now that you mention the pre-code stuff, it seems like I do remember an innuendo that I was a bit surprised by. I can't remember the name of it.

Speaking of OTR comedians, not part of a team, but I did buy Fred Allen's movie "Its in the Bag" on Blu-ray last week, but have not had a chance to watch it. Have you seen it? Is it any good?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), MerryCarey (02-26-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013)