Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,322 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I began reading "Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies" yesterday, and already I have a new appreciation for Oliver Hardy. He was a great actor! I didn't realize he was so laid pack in personal life, and the opposite of the character he played on screen. The book is fascinating so far. I've always sort of neglected Ollie and kept my eye on Stan, but now I feel as if I need to rewatch with a focus on Ollie to see how much I've missed!
Hardy really is under-rated, and I think you'll really enjoy watching him when you get around to seeing "Jitterbugs." He'd put in subtle little expressions and bits of business, and occasionally look right at the audience to express frustration, as if you say, "Can you believe that??" Or sometimes he'll tell a fib, and sneak a guilty look at the audience. He's a riot when he's flirting with a girl! I never appreciated him until I reached adulthood. When I was little, I found him a bit frightening, because he would get annoyed and yell at Stan. When I was older, I appreciated more the give-and-take and the strength of their characters' friendship.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!