Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,275 Times in 5,591 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I have not seen that one.
"Babes in Toyland" (or "March of the Wooden Soldiers") is Laurel & Hardy among Mother Goose characters. Their landlady is the Old Woman who Lives in a Shoe; they work for the Toymaker who supplies toys to Santa Claus. It has songs and background music by Victor Herbert (from the original stage production). You'll recognize some of the music when you hear it, especially "Toyland" and the march.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I haven't seen "Babes" in color. I need to. To be honest, I haven't seen it since I was a very young child, so it will be like watching a new movie for me. For years so much of L&H's stuff wasn't available on the home video market (or easily available, I should say) so there are some I have not seen! But, this summer, when I will have more time I plan to correct that situation!
I have heard there's a very good DVD of "Babes" that has the colorized version and the B&W.
We have two color versions, the B&W version, and a 16mm print. Of the two colorized versions, we prefer the one issued by Goodtimes, but I'm not sure if it's still in print. The abridged versions have gone into public domain, so if you want to see a sharp, clear print, get Goodtimes, Legend, or MGM.

The bundle you mentioned is by Legend, and the color is nice. The BEST black-and-white DVD is on the MGM label, because the film's ownership passed legally from Hal Roach to MGM as part of a legal settlement.

Where I grew up, the local TV stations ALWAYS ran this during the Christmas season. Where Mr. grew up, it was always aired on Thanksgiving, so sometimes we screen it on Thanksgiving to officially open the season.

In short---see it!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-03-2013)