Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,355 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
MerryCarey, this is a question for you...
I came across a book available on the Kindle called the Laurel and Hardy Murders by Marvin Kaye. From what I read, Kaye was associated with the Sons of the Desert (the book uses the Sons as a key plot point, apparently). Have you read it? If so, is it any good? Heck, you might even know the author!
That book was originally published back in the late '60s or early '70s---back in those days (before I joined) women were barred from some tents, and I think that comes out in the story. Kaye was a president of the New York tent, and some real-life members appear as characters, including the legendary Al Kilgore, who created the Sons' gorgeous escutcheon. I read the book soooo long ago I don't remember anything about it. I don't think anyone I know is in it, except maybe Dwain Smith, who is still with us---he was at last year's convention. What the heck, give it a try! But it probably doesn't reflect the Sons as they are today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!