Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,277 Times in 5,922 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Who do you prefer of the two: Chaplin or Keaton?
Some years ago I liked them both equally. I have a lot of respect for them both, but in the end, I enjoy Buster Keaton more. Chaplin seems to be too full of himself, too self-consciously arty at times ("Look at me, I'm a genius!"). Keaton, on the other hand, has been known to sternly tell someone who applied the word "genius" to him to NEVER refer to him by "that word" again.

I also have an affinity for Keaton because his films were a sort of inspiration to me when I went through chemotherapy (twice) in the 1980s. "The General" became a metaphor to me---he just wouldn't quit until he achieved his objective, however absurd it may have seemed at times for him to persist in his quest to get his stolen locomotive back. I also met and greatly respected Eleanor Keaton.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013), XmasDreams (04-16-2013)