View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

RavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elfRavenHardt is a good elf
~Chocolate Covered Coffee Dreams~

Whites of 4 large eggs
2 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (If desired;
we suggest Pecans, Macadamias,
Walnuts, or Black Walnuts.)
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup triple strength coffee
3 to 5 lbs Melting Chocolate (your
choice of dark, milk, or white
chocolate.

Butter the sides of a heavy 2 qt saucepan. Put the sugar, corn syrup, salt and coffee in it and cook on high stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Cook, to a hard ball stage (260) without stirring. Remove from heat. Working quickly, (use a very large, chilled glass or metal bowl for the egg whites) beat the egg
whites till stiff peaks form. Pour the hot syrup in a thin stream over the beaten egg whites while beating on high speed with the mixer.
Continue beating mixture at high speed until it forms soft peaks and begins to lose it's gloss. Add the nuts and beat thoroughly for 5 more minutes. Allow to cool slightly, cover the bowl, then put in
the freezer to chill. In the top of a double boiler, slowly heat the melting
chocolate stirring constantly until it is thoroughly melted. Put waxed paper on several cookie sheets. Remove the bowl from the freezer and, with a teaspoon, drop a heaping teaspoon full of the cold mixture in
the melted chocolate.
(Don't spear the candy... scoop it carefully from the chocolate!)
Working quickly, use two forks to remove the dipped
candy from the chocolate and place on the waxed paper. Repeat the process until all the mixture is gone. Pour the remaining dipping chocolate in a buttered pie pan to cool. It can be reheated..
Allow the candies to cool. The chocolate coating on the dipped candies will harden as it cools. Store in a covered container in a cool place or in the refrigerator if desired.