Thread: Advent Defined
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
I was a bit confused by the ending paragraph:

Quote:
But like Santa Claus advent is a strictly religious element adopted by secular celebrants of Christmas and stripped of its original meaning and purpose, continuing the tug-of-war over who “owns” or created Christmas in the first place.
I was under the impression that this site recognized Christmas as both religious and secular counter to those fringes who would have folks believe there is a war on Christmas. That being the case, I guess I don't understand the usage of "strictly", tug of war, or inferred ownership. There would seem to be plenty of "adoptions" of various shapes and sizes by both "sides" (for want of a better term).
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss