Thread: Vintage Film
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,891 Times in 2,720 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
We watched "It Happened on 5th Avenue" last night we hadn't pulled it out in a couple years, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that Mr. went to the computer afterward and did a little online research. He found a fascinating bit of trivia: Frank Capra had optioned the story to make a movie of it. It was to be the first film produced by his new company, Liberty Films. But we all know that "It's a Wonderful Life" was actually the first film produced by Liberty. From the timeline, it appears that Capra discovered the short story that became "It's a Wonderful Life" and decided to make that instead, relinquishing the rights to the "5th Avenue" story.

It's interesting to speculate how the film might have been cast had Capra made it: Barbara Stanwyck as Trudy? Henry Travers as McKeever? Jimmy Stewart as Jimmy? It's a story that Capra would have enjoyed digging into.
I need to watch that movie. There are so many I'm putting on my 2014 list of movies to see. Maybe there is room for one more...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (12-28-2013)