View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Does anyone know how to build an Ark?

2008 is not starting out too well for the Sunshine family. Our town is almost completely under water. Luckily for DH and I, we don't live in the immediate flood danger zone (although the water got a bit too close for my comfort in spots), BUT, my mother isn't so lucky.

She lives well outside the "ordinary" flood zone (these are the areas that get flooded every year in the spring and fall), and outside the "100 year" flood plain (these are the areas that get flooded once in a while when the river gets really wild...but it seems she lives in the 500 year flood plain because we've got a record breaking flood in our town.

She had to be emergency evacuated from her home on Wednesday morning because the water had risen so quickly...much quicker than forecasts were indicating...we went from thinking her home might be spared to realizing she was stuck in her home which was surrounded by several feet of water. My mother is disabled so we had to call the fire/police rescue team to get her and my little sisters out of the house.

It's an absolute mess. My mother lives on disability and doesn't have any extra money to replace her things. Renters insurance doesn't cover flood damage (neither does most homeowners insurance) so she's going to be in a fine fix when she can finally get back into her home. I'm hoping against hope that the water didn't actually get "into" the house but I know that's probably way too much wishful thinking...that entire part of town is underwater.

Right now my mom and my sisters are staying with another sister but they can't stay there indefinitely. I don't know how long it will take the landlord to fix the house up after the water recedes...she can't afford to move, we can't afford to move her again (Dh and I footed the bill to move her into that house just about a year ago) so I don't know what we're going to do.

Not to mention...when she moved into the house, she didn't have room for her washer and dryer. Since both were practically brand new units she said that we could buy them from her and she would use the money to buy herself a stackable washer/dryer unit. Well, Dh and I jumped at the chance because otherwise mom wouldn't have been able to afford the stackable washer/dryer and we knew that we'd be needing a washer and dryer when we finally found a house and moved out of our apartment.

Well, until we got a house, we decided to store our washer and dryer in mom's garage. No doubt they're a total loss along with the camping equipment we'd stored in her garage as well.

This is such a mess and, to top it off, it's raining again.