Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,833
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, G7152

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

TooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elf
Candles

Hey all. Budget is low this year, so I wanted to do homemade candles to give out as gifts. They can be soy or what not, just whatever is cheapest. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to TooShort4 For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-22-2008)
Old 10-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Santa Clausologist

auntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elfauntieclaus is a good elf
Do you have an AC Moore or Hobby Lobby near you? They would be able to guide you in candle making.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

TooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elfTooShort4 is a good elf
Well my mom and I made candles before, but we tried using Soy so it got really expensive. This time I am gonig to use Gulf Wax, Food Coloring to color the wax, we already have the mason jars, candy thermometer, wicks and a few scents left.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Merry Forums Newbie

jackfrosty has shown a merry dispositionjackfrosty has shown a merry disposition
candle

my sister and I are getting together on Monday to make candles in a teacup. I got some old teacups at a yard sale this summer. I'm cheating as I just bought cheap ivory cafe candles at the supermarket and I'm going to use the ends of old scented pillar candles to pour around them in the cup. Don't know if it will work but we're going to try it! There isn't anywhere near here to buy the candle making supplies, so... if it works it will be a nice cheap gift. I've also seen them done in small Terra cotta pots. They're about .70 cents here and you could paint Christmas sayings, etc. on the outside. I guess you would just have to stick something over the drainage hole in the bottom?
The Following User Says Thank You to jackfrosty For This Useful Post:
bhenson (10-22-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

bhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elfbhenson is a good elf
santahat I love candles

I have never made candles before but I love to burn them daily!
The Following User Says Thank You to bhenson For This Useful Post:
TooShort4 (10-22-2008)
Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
DH and I tried this and it was not the resounding success we hoped it would be. We never could get the colors/scents right and, in the end, I'm not sure we ended up saving that much money. Maybe if we had made more we would have seen a savings over time.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,251 Times in 13,279 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star at the dollar store here

you can buy sheets of beeswax for making candles. (just roll them up with a wick, look really nice) Also at the dollar store you can get all kinds of fancy containers to put melted wax in for unique candles. If you want cheap wax, get candles there too and carefully melt them down. Also look in second hand stores, they often sell bunches of candles really cheap that are good for melting down.
You gave me another idear for my family gift baskets, thanks!