Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » If Only In My Dreams

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,440
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Gift My Brother...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:03 PM
45,746 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Guide to Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-08-2012 11:50 AM
Last post by jimmydbrown
12-27-2012 04:59 AM
82,759 Views  4 Posts
Making Christmas Gift...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:01 PM
44,916 Views  0 Posts
December the 25th
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:23 PM
58,925 Views  0 Posts
Mrs. Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:55 PM
Last post by sammylar1304
08-17-2011 02:31 PM
47,874 Views  1 Posts

Old 12-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
If Only In My Dreams

Just wondered how many of you are far from family during this time of year .

My dad lives in Indiana and I so miss him especially during this time of year. I have only been home 1 time for Christmas in almost 24 year's . A lot of it is due to money and also due to the bad weather up that way during this time of year.

When I was little we always had Christmas with my grandparent's after having it at home ,but they have all long since passed ,well over 20 year's ago , still it just didn't seem right to not go to their house's when we were up there a couple year's ago .

I can't listen to "I'll Be Home For Christmas " without crying and another song that gets to me (even though it's not a Christmas song ) is "Back Home Again In Indiana " by Jim Nabors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcKDujTa3U

I saw a commercial on tv the other day showing little kid's running downstairs to see what Santa had brought them and it got me chocked up thinking of how I used to wake up my brother (4 year's younger) to see what Santa had left.

Ain't it somethin how thing's can stir up memories that are good yet bring tears to your eyes and tug at your heart making you wish that you could be "HOME" for Christmas and celebrate the way you did as a child .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ms_Speedy_Elf For This Useful Post:
Head Elf (12-28-2008), kerst (12-19-2008), MsChristmas (12-29-2008), Rob (12-18-2008), SparkleNana (12-18-2008)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'm an only child - my dad died when I was 12 and my mother died 5 years ago. My remaining family live in Canada, USA and South Africa and I'm in Scotland. My childhood friends are also in Canada

It would be so easy to wallow at this time of year. I'd be inhuman and lying if I didn't say that there are occasions where I tend to wallow and this time of year seems to emphasise the situation.

However, I have a family of my own now. I have so many things to be thankful for and my parents, my childhood and my upbringing have shaped the person I am today and how I raise my own son.

So yes, I'm, in effect, a stranger in a strange land but my memories let my family be with me at Christmas and really, they're only just in the next room

Old 12-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Christmasologist

SparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSparkleNana would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Beautiful message, beautifully written, Ms_Speedy_Elf!
The Following User Says Thank You to SparkleNana For This Useful Post:
Ms_Speedy_Elf (12-18-2008)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
On the Naughty List

MerryChristmasLydio is a good elfMerryChristmasLydio is a good elfMerryChristmasLydio is a good elfMerryChristmasLydio is a good elfMerryChristmasLydio is a good elfMerryChristmasLydio is a good elf
We re over 5-6 hours away from our families. But we're gonna see them soon! I love my Granaddaddy and Grandmother!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:58 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,149 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
I know how you feel,When I lived in Louisiana,I missed home all the time.I would write a letter to them every year and some of my brothers and sisters would read it at the Christmas party,while that song would be playing.It's tough not being home with your family.Now that I moved back here,I can't imagine being anywhere else.Many hugs to you!

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following User Says Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Faith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to others
Sigh.
I understand. WArmest, gentlest of hugs to you...

Merry Christmasly yours,
Linda Bobo Reddoch
The Following User Says Thank You to Faith4always For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Well for most of my life my most favorite Aunt has lived somewhere out of state. She's lived in lots of places but, for most of my life I remember her living in Florida or Georgia. Still I was able to see her atleast once a year if not twice. Now she's living in California and I haven't seen her since last Dec. I hate it. With her getting older and living so far away it's not going to be long before she isn't able to travel this far. She was hoping to move back to the east coast somewhere but, I don't know if that will happen any time soon, if at all. I really miss her. She's always been my absolute favorite aunt. I have cousins that live out there too that barely know us because of the distance between us. I kept hoping that she'd come home for Thanksgiving but, she didn't this year so hopefully next year she'll make an appearance.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,056 Times in 3,685 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Speedy...I´m sorry about the way You feel...You told me already yesterday and I was saddened because of that, too...I can just join in with Maureen...saying that they are always with You....whereever You are...because they are in Your heart....and of course Your grandparents are watching You from above...which means they are never really far

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

silcrest has shown a merry dispositionsilcrest has shown a merry dispositionsilcrest has shown a merry disposition
@Maureen: It must be horrible to lose the parents so early. I'm so sorry for you. But you sound, that you got a personal strength out of this. All the best for you.

Silvia
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
My family lives close enough, only an hour and a half away. But while I lived in California I didn't really have a family at all and I celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with friends. And that made me appreciate "family" so much more. We're not very close in my family but they are always there and that's nice to know. I am very close to my oldest sister and we're having a party of our own tomorrow and on Christmas day we all get together at my other sister's house.