Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How Do You Give Back During the Holidays?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Feast of Fools
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:33 PM
54,009 Views  0 Posts
My Neighbor, My Friend
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:31 PM
49,371 Views  0 Posts
Emily's Highest Bough
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:47 PM
43,901 Views  0 Posts
The Magic of Santa
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:12 PM
55,809 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Decorating with Wreaths
By JeanetteDi
10-26-2011 04:05 PM
78,803 Views  0 Posts

Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Mistletoeologist

Smiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSmiley21 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
How Do You Give Back During the Holidays?

During the holidays I always try to give back & help out, especially during these rough economic times. What ways do you give back?

I always donate to the Salvation Army whenever I see them, I also volunteer with Hosea Feeds the Hungry during Thanksgiving & Christmas and my favorite thing to do is Toys for Tots. I'm trying to find a coat drive this year though, I think its gonna be a cold winter in Atlanta this year.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,609 Times in 4,412 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We like to do the Toys for Tots every year, and food bags through our church.
Smiley21 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,384 Times in 9,029 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I can never resist the Salvation Army kettle. First of all it has a very Christmasy feel to it just hearing them ring the bell and I always have to throw something in it. I now make sure my grandchildren have change in their hands to put something in the kettle if we are near one. The think it's fun!

Only one year I volunteered to give out food baskets to the less fortunate. We had a list and delivered the baskets to their doors.

I really should do more than just throwing change in a kettle. I think it's terrific that people give up their time for others and I should make it a point to do the same thing!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Smiley21 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,134 Times in 26,516 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I always donate to toys for tots and salvation army. When I was in scouts we use to go down to the local shelter the weekend after thanksgiving every year and help cook and pass out food. Now I always try to buy a couple bags fo food to donate when the grocery store has there food drive for the shelter and I always try to donate some winter clothes to them as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Smiley21 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
present

We donate clothing and toys to several organizations. We also sing at the Senior homes in our area.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Last year we adopted a child from the Salvation Army "Angel Tree"...you pick a name for a needy child and there are a few items listed that they want for Christmas. That was really fun! Also I donate clothes and toys to a few organizations throughout the year..not just at Christmas!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Maebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I usually put money in the Salvation Army kettle. One of the organizations I belong to sponsors a family at Christmas. I usually buy a few gifts for them. Last year, I bought fixin's for a meal. I may do that again this year.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Our church has a giving tree with names of both children and adults. We picj an ornament off the tree and buy a gift for that person. I usually like to pick a child's name, and buy them a toy.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
The church where I work works in conjunction w/ three other churches in town to provide Christmas for needy families that are referred to us by social service agencies.

We combine resources, purchase tons of gifts and food for the families...then the parents get to come to the church and be our guest to "shop" for their children's toys. With a "host" volunteer along to help them carry their purchases, the parents get to pick out three (nice) gifts for each of their children along with stocking stuffers (this is done so they get the experience of actually shopping and choosing toys that their children would enjoy).

Then the gifts are wrapped by volunteer wrappers (so no worries about having money for wrapping paper) and batteries, etc. are supplied so everything works on Christmas morning. Then, the parents are given food for their Christmas dinner. Finally, everything is carried by more volunteers out to their cars. The goal is to make them feel like pampered, special shoppers and not like they're there for charity.

I usually go along and serve as a wrapper for the event. It's great fun to see the parents as they shop for their children who otherwise might not have Christmas gifts.

I also donate to the Salvation Army buckets many times and also try to "adopt" an elderly person from the Christmas tree at the front of our local Wal-Mart. They have a little tree decorated with papers giving the age and gender of a local nursing home resident who doesn't have family (or any family to speak of) along with suggestions of things that resident would like. We try to do at least one of those as well.

I LOVE Christmas...my heart swells just thinking about all the great things that happen at that time of year.
Seawaters (10-18-2009)
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
[quote=Sunshine73;191384]...then the parents get to come to the church and be our guest to "shop" for their children's toys. With a "host" volunteer along to help them carry their purchases, the parents get to pick out three (nice) gifts for each of their children along with stocking stuffers (this is done so they get the experience of actually shopping and choosing toys that their children would enjoy).

Then the gifts are wrapped by volunteer wrappers (so no worries about having money for wrapping paper) and batteries, etc. are supplied so everything works on Christmas morning. Then, the parents are given food for their Christmas dinner. Finally, everything is carried by more volunteers out to their cars. The goal is to make them feel like pampered, special shoppers and not like they're there for charity. quote]

This is one of the BEST ideas I have ever heard! So, so, so special. Thanks for sharing!