Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » Now how in the heck am I supposed to swing this???!!!!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 53,994
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,616)
Welcome to our newest member, K1081

Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Now how in the heck am I supposed to swing this???!!!!

My sister is getting married November 25, 2006...that is the Saturday after Thanksgiving for those of you without the calendars out. Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday...it's kind of like my prelude to Christmas. I love my sister...I'm the maid of honor...I couldn't be more happy about this wedding...but per the brides request...we will be having Thanksgiving dinner at my dad's swanky neighborhood clubhouse...and instead of it being Thanksgiving dinner...it's her rehearsal dinner...it's like she's taking over the holiday! I'm so used to being able to walk around the kitchen in my pajamas helping mom cook while catching the highlights of the Macy's parade, she's killed that! The second issue is the fact that her bachelorette party (that I have to plan) will be taking place the evening of Black Friday...How do I make sure Thanksgiving is still a holiday for family and friends and not just apart of her "Week of the Queen Bride".
Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 AM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Wow! I'm speechless. (Almost!) I guess the reason no one has responded so far is that this seems like a bad dream. You love your sister and want the best wedding possible, but you have years worth of good memories about Thanksgiving and the traditions associated with it, and now the two are interfering with each other. (I know I'm just restating the problem, but that's because I have no idea what to do.) I'd go full speed with the sister's wedding and just remember that this will be the only time it happens, Lord willing. Wear a turkey pin on your bridesmaid dress as a silent protest. 8)
Old 10-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Ervserver

Maybe you could record the parade and then have your own little Thanksgiving on another day. Won't be exactly the same but you could fix some of the good food, replay the parade, and do some of the things you would normally do for that special day.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,252 Times in 2,296 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Connecting an engagement, wedding, etc. with a holiday is never a good idea. Neither is giving an engagement ring on Christmas or birthdays. These events should be an occasion unto themselves!

However, ReineV, your sister doesn't think so. I agree with the sheepster; go ahead and sacrifice this year hoping that this will be the only time. Tell your sister that when their anniversary rolls around each year, everybody is coming to their house for Thanksgiving! She might rethink it all then.

Think positive. One never knows what new Thanksgiving traditions may come from this!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

elfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happyelfworks makes Santa very happy
if i were you, what i would do is talk to mom and dad. i would tell them that you are behind all the wedding plans, however, thanksgiving is really important to you. if it is ok with them, youd like to take a saturday the following week or two and do thanksgiving. tape the parade and the games or whatever it is you normally watch on tday and then just have thanksgiving a week or so late. it is just a day appointed by the powers that be to celebrate a something. it isnt such a bad thing to do it on a different day. and it could actually be even groooooovier!!

xo

"Elfworks is right." *Jeff Westover

HAVE SPATULA. WILL TRAVEL......
www.thyca.org
http://www.aace.com/public/awareness...kCheckCard.pdf

OH HAPPY DAY! THE END OF KAKISTOCRACY IS HERE!!

"NO, NO, NO ! I mean JINGLE BELLS ! You know... Santa Claus and Ho Ho Ho and Mistletoe and presents to pretty girls..." * Lucy Van Pelt
"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!" * Lucy Van Pelt
Old 10-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Mistletoeologist

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, I think that this year, I'm just going to bite the bullet and let her have Thanksgiving, then do a post-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas pot luck celebration with my friends once i get back down to school after Thanksgiving break. Maybe that Sunday after I come back to my apartment we can decorate the tree and eat the leftovers our families packed for us.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Ervserver

sounds like a plan..afterall the holidays aren't just whats on the table but whats in our hearts.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
I never expected that from you, Erv. Not that I didn't think you were deep, but saying it's not just what's on the table is scary. Hearts, schmarts, where's the food!?! 8)
Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Ervserver

Just after I typed that the Dominos delivery arrived and I feasted on pepperoni pizza and brownies. Dominos brownies are yucky btw
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Mistletoeologist

Originally Posted by Ervserver
Just after I typed that the Dominos delivery arrived and I feasted on pepperoni pizza and brownies. Dominos brownies are yucky btw
yea...when I first heard about the free brownies WITH dipping sauce I was all, "OMG YAY!"....but then I stopped and thought about it...