Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Any ideas for an Advent?

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,408)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Lower Your Thanksgiving...
By MMC Editor
11-20-2011 01:48 PM
49,909 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Changing Face of...
By MMC Editor
10-31-2011 08:23 AM
60,111 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree Norman Rockwell,...
By MMC Editor
10-29-2011 11:15 AM
71,247 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 The Christmas Truce
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 02:24 PM
48,091 Views  0 Posts
Halloween: What's the...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:28 PM
48,176 Views  0 Posts

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

usafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoeusafvet would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Any ideas for an Advent?

Shortly after Christmas of 2009, my wife and I bought a cheap advent. We tried to think up of some activities and things to do to place in the slot of every day, but we couldn't think of things to fill the full 25 days. As much as I hate to say this, some days we just got lazy and placed a piece of candy in the day. It certainly didn't turn out the way we wanted.

Ironically, after this past Christmas, I found a really neat advent from the San Franciso music box company that was on sale. It plays music and figurine elves dance about. We thought it was pretty neat and think our kiddos will get some enjoyment out of it for years to come, so we upgraded the previous advent with this nifty one.

If you do an advent (or remember your family doing one as a child), what what are some of your traditions? We came up with a few special activities, baking cookies, etc...but I'd love to get some ideas so this year (and others to come) will be much better than this past attempt.
snowflake22 (01-23-2014)
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 69,931 Times in 13,905 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We bought an Advent calender a few years ago in the shape of a chimney and there are bricks numbered 24-1, and for each 2 days (bricks) pulled, a little Santa Claus slides down the chimney. My older son loves it and when Santa is about half way down the chimney, he knows how much closer it is to Christmas. when Santa is in the fireplace its Christmas.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
We bought an Advent calender a few years ago in the shape of a chimney and there are bricks numbered 24-1, and for each 2 days (bricks) pulled, a little Santa Claus slides down the chimney. My older son loves it and when Santa is about half way down the chimney, he knows how much closer it is to Christmas. when Santa is in the fireplace its Christmas.
That sounds really cute!

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsChristmas For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-23-2014), xmas365 (07-01-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,444 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

I have a tradition I celebrate for myself. I have a few different Advent calendars one of which has scripture behind every door. Every morning during advent I open them and I always save the scripture one for last. It helps me to reflect what the Season is all about for me, to remember Who it is about.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (07-02-2010), One Spoiled Brat (09-01-2010), Seawaters (10-24-2010), snowflake22 (01-23-2014)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Last Achievements

Christmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnog
You could put in a combination of activities to do together, Christmas treats, Christmas jokes, etc. If you want to give a bigger Christmas treat or trinket that doesn't fit in the slot, you could hide it and then put a clue in the slot and let them do a treasure hunt for it. For example...maybe new Christmas socks or a new Christmas book to read together. As far as activities, here are a few ideas:

1) Christmas movie night with popcorn and hot chocolate.
2) Driving around to see Christmas lights.
3) Gingerbread houses (we make graham cracker houses....super easy and the kids each make their own)
4) Doing acts of service for family members.
5) Deliver goodies to neighbors
6) Go Christmas caroling
7) Decorating the Christmas tree
8) Making candles- (Can use the beeswax candle kits. Roll the candles and then use mini Christmas cookie cutters to cut out shapes from contrasting color beeswax sheets and stick to the candles)
9) Make Christmas treats- ie fudge, cookies, dipping chocolates, etc.
10) Read a Christmas story together
11) Make Christmas ornaments or Christmas crafts
12) Make your own marshmallows, using cookie cutter Christmas shapes
13) Go ice skating or sledding
14) Put together Christmas baskets or packages for military personel, someone in need, etc.
15) Play a Christmas game (We have Christmas Yahtzee, Christmas Trivia, Christmas Carol game, etc)
16) You could also intersperse nativity pieces throughout the month where you gradually *build* a nativity set and save Baby Jesus for Christmas Eve. (You could use a mini nativity set so the pieces fit in your Advent or you could give clues as to where to find the next piece). That would take up as many days as there are nativity pieces. You could also add a scripture to go with each piece if you wanted.
17) If you have school parties, church parties, recitals, etc., just put those in on the appropriate days.
18) Visit to Santa
19) Christmas shopping day (We take our kids shopping so they can find gifts for each other)
20) My husband is sitting here saying, "eggnog and gingerale". It's his favorite Christmas beverage.
21) Make homemade peppermint ice cream
22) Host a Christmas party--could do an ornamnet exchange, white elephant exchange, etc.
23) Decorate gingerbread men.

There are a few ideas to get you started. Hopefully that's the kind of things you were looking for. Have fun planning!

The Family Fun magazine always has great ideas....you could browse their website for ideas on family activities, crafts, treats, etc. I save all my past issues and pour throught them regularly.

Oh, and one other thought...I don't know how old your kids are, but last year we sat down as a family in October. I asked everyone to come up with one Christmas activity they wanted to do as a family, as well as one Christmas treat they wanted to make. We made sure we included those things in our Dec. calendar so that everyone had a chance to do something that really sounded fun to them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christmas24/7 For This Useful Post:
made582 (07-02-2010), MsChristmas (07-02-2010), One Spoiled Brat (09-01-2010), Seawaters (10-24-2010), snowflake22 (01-23-2014), whychristmas (10-22-2010), xmas365 (07-02-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Last Achievements

Christmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnog
I thought of a couple more things:
24) Have Christmas pancakes for breakfast or dinner. (We have a Christmas pancake pan that has shapes like snowman, star, Santa, angel, reigndeer, etc.) But you could easily do snowman pancakes (3 circles stacked, and decorate face with edibles) or Santa pancake (round pancake with banana eyes (chocolate chip pupil) and whipped cream mustache and beard)

25) Have a *campout* in the living room, next to the Christmas tree. Our kids LOVE to do this. You could watch a Christmas movie, have smores in the fireplace, etc. and then go to sleep in your sleeping bags.

26) Make bird feeders for the birds- pincones with peanut butter and birdseed, bird feeders made from oranges, etc. (I haven't done the oranges kind but a friend of mine did).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas24/7 For This Useful Post:
made582 (07-02-2010), MsChristmas (07-02-2010), snowflake22 (01-23-2014), xmas365 (07-02-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,062 Times in 274 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
This link here has a great list of Advent activities that you could consider. I personally like to do a mix of gifts/trinkets for my daughter and activities. It still lets her get some gifts through out the season, but also shows her that Christmas should be about building memories together as a family. We do try to find an age appropriate way to tie in the real reason for Christmas each day. Right now it is really simple b/c she is only 2 (will be 3 this year).

http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/12/0...vent-calendar/
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (07-02-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Here are a few more ideas.

1.New Christmas story books
2.Go pick out a new ornament
3.One night have child #1 pick a Christmas movie to watch
another night have child # 2 pick a christmas movie to watch
4.Take the kids out shopping to pick out their gift for each other
5.String popcorn
6.Make bird feeders (tie a thread on a pinecone, cover the pinecone in peanutbutter and cover in bird seed, hang outside)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (07-02-2010), snowflake22 (01-23-2014)
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Last Achievements

I think I'm obsessed with this thread.

We have a Nativity Wall Hanging Advent Calendar where there are felt Nativity pieces in the pockets and then you put a piece a day in/around a stable so that by Christmas you have a full nativity scene. It's been a favorite and is pretty worn out. We use it every year and then use a variety of other Advent Calendar ideas but don't use them all every year.

One Advent *calendar* we have done, but not every year, is a Christmas sock nativity. It was an idea taken from the Family Fun magazine. We will be doing it again this year, so after Christmas last year I started searching for 12 pair of Christmas socks (making sure everyone in my family had a similar # of socks). We have a garland with 24 clothespins, each with a countdown to Christmas number. Then we hang the Christmas socks from the clothespins. We will fill those socks with little trinkets, treats, family activities, Christmas jokes, etc. Then we hang the garland, with 24 different sizes/colors/patterns Christmas socks. It is super cute and I LOVE it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas24/7 For This Useful Post:
One Spoiled Brat (09-01-2010), snowflake22 (01-23-2014)
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 143,831 Times in 26,464 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Christmas24/7 View Post
I think I'm obsessed with this thread.

Thanks for all the great Ideas!!!!!

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the Binger to replace Letterman as the Late Show Host movement!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-23-2014)