Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Halloween » Does anyone else dislike Halloween....

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Halloween Real Halloween
Spooks hover here! Presented by Real Halloween.com, our own site of all things Halloween, this merry section of the forum is dedicated to talking about our ideas, plans, thoughts and observations of a great day of Fall that just happens to lead right into the Christmas season.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,853
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Does anyone else dislike Halloween....

and not for religious reasons? When I was a kid, I used to LOVE dressing up and go Trick-or-Treating either with just my sisters and me or a BIG group of us neighborhood kids with some parents in tow. My best Halloween costume was probably in 1988 when I was 8 years old--I was a punk rocker!

I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older or because the times have changed or because I don't have any kids of my own but....I'm just not a fan of Halloween anymore. Sure, if I lived in a place that allowed trick-or-treaters I'd love to pass out candy to kids. Unfortuntely, I don't (2nd story in a security locked apartment). Also, I have a SUPER over-active imagination and I ALWAYS have to cover my eyes when commercials air during the month of October. (Because I live in FL, they are always advertising for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights and those are TRULY frightening!)

Am I the only one or have I turned into a Halloween Scroge? Do you think I might change once I start a family?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimothy For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), lauriebear (08-25-2011), Santa's Helper (08-22-2010), sugar142286 (08-31-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'm not as huge a fan as I was but my reason is because I was attacked one year when I was about 9 or 10. My friend and I had separated from her mom and sister because I wanted to show my other friend's aunt what I looked like (I'd gone as a geisha and she's loaned me her real kimono). What my friend and I didn't realise is that we were being followed by 3 guys - late teens I would say. The houses we went to, they went to; the houses we skipped, they skipped.

Anyway, long story short and a few cuts and bruises later, I was in a torn kimono with no Unicef box and no candy. I don't think I've ever seen my parents so upset. Got my first and only ride in a police car though and I found out who my real friends were because they each gave me a share of their candy to make up for the loss.

After that, tuck me up with a bowl of popcorn and a good ghost story - no blood and guts, thank you!!

Gotta say though, even if trick or treating is off the table, dressing up your little one as something is brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:05 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Good Lord, Mo! Did the guys ever get caught? I bet your Dad tracked them down didn't he?
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
I'm not as huge a fan as I was but my reason is because I was attacked one year when I was about 9 or 10. My friend and I had separated from her mom and sister because I wanted to show my other friend's aunt what I looked like (I'd gone as a geisha and she's loaned me her real kimono). What my friend and I didn't realise is that we were being followed by 3 guys - late teens I would say. The houses we went to, they went to; the houses we skipped, they skipped.

Anyway, long story short and a few cuts and bruises later, I was in a torn kimono with no Unicef box and no candy. I don't think I've ever seen my parents so upset. Got my first and only ride in a police car though and I found out who my real friends were because they each gave me a share of their candy to make up for the loss.

After that, tuck me up with a bowl of popcorn and a good ghost story - no blood and guts, thank you!!

Gotta say though, even if trick or treating is off the table, dressing up your little one as something is brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Maureen (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I'm not a huge fan of Halloween as an adult. I liked it when I was a kid, going trick or treating and costume parties at school and the parade in town. I won 1st place at school and in the town's parade!! But the older I get the less I like it because of the crap that comes with it. People decorate and kids destroy it. Devil's night makes me nervous that my car will get egged or keyed or sugar in the tank. I'll be getting a locking gas cap this year since I'm in an apartment complex with lots of kids.

When I lived in a neighborhood I liked to dress my dog up and pass out candy but I haven't had trick or treaters in 10 years. Maybe this year in the apartment building I'll get to pass out candy, who knows. I just hope that kids leave other people's property alone and learn to enjoy themselves without destruction and costly repairs to someone's car or home.

So to answer this question.....No! I'm not a fan of Halloween!! haha!!!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 08-22-2010, 07:06 AM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
LOL Denise! Dress the Dupes up and take her around

©♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following User Says Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Santa's Helper (08-29-2010)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Originally Posted by JanaBanana View Post
LOL Denise! Dress the Dupes up and take her around
When I lived in a neighborhood that had kids trick or treating I used to take her to some of the neighbors and they would give her doggie treats!!! hahaha!!!! She loved it. I should start it this year in the apartment complex.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santa's Helper For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-29-2010), lauriebear (08-23-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Gift 4

hi halloween to me is another milestone to christmas
over there in northern ireland we dont really go to town a lot
yes the kids dress up and so do some adults
the kids go door to door and get sweets. apples or money
but i have noticed this past years that is starting to getting less and less
usually in some of the bars there is a halloween ball where adults go and there.s usually a prize for best dressed
i do put up a few decorations up to about 5 years ago you wood not hardly have got a halloween decoration
our town has a fire works display each year which last about 15 minutes
When i was a kid we use to play halloween games .ducking for apples
but i go with flow now i do dress up. with a few mates but as i said over there after halloween everyone starts thinking about christmas
The Following User Says Thank You to shellie12 For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Official button pusher!

Last Achievements

Thanked 6,001 Times in 1,079 Posts
Undrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the treeUndrtakr you could wrap up and put under the tree
I still love it! I dress up for work and to hand out candy. Ill be taking William out for a bit this year.
Thank you, Louann. We will never forget you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Undrtakr For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
OK, OK... WOW... I must live in a bubble, someone stick it with a pin... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Halloween, but as someone else said here I love every holiday for it's own special reasons. A few years ago I did a piece on Halloween I should post it to my blog (in fact I think I will). Halloween to me represents a day we all can be silly in our own way. If I am working that day I take it off, and not to toot my own horn but my Condo is the "IT" condo for Trick-or-Treat. I have decorations a "spooky village" but not gory - I think it is geared more for kids. I have pumpkins, ghosts, witches, and black kitties. I have Frankenstein & a mummy. But, it really is cute. Oh I should not forget to tell you about Mr. Skinny Bones, now he has a real toothy smile. Music plays and a fog machine blows, I have tomb-stones that read silly things like "here lies Mr. French Fry, he's now resting in my belly" Silly things... The bats all have smiley faces and the Count never sucks your blood (we made a deal - tee hee). I dress up and give out so much candy. The children love it, I have been in my community for 10 years now and I have watched the young ones grow up and some take younger siblings now, and they tell me how it wouldn't be Halloween if it wasn't for Ms. Laurie's place, that makes me happy. It doesn't bother me when the "older" ones come I think it is sweet that they still want to do it, I know I wanted to when I started to get older so why not let them as long as they do not harm anything. I do not have children, nor did I really get to trick-or-treat when I was younger. But, I have always thought if you close yourself off to something you might never know what joy or love you can get from it. Like, me not having little ones of my own I would not really get to see all the adorable little ones that come by and laugh and smile by my display. I am a firm believer in Halloween, what it offers is what you make of it. I embrace yet another time of the year we get to give and give and give, weather it be a treat or a tick well now that is up to you my spooky friends (tee hee).
happyelf (08-26-2011), loksi (08-23-2011)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Good Lord, Mo! Did the guys ever get caught? I bet your Dad tracked them down didn't he?
Nope - this is the one time Pinkerton's didn't catch the bad guys! He sure as he ll tried though.....