Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > MMC Home for the Holidays > Christmas Home > Introductions » Vintage Family Christmas Decorations

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Introductions New here? Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the community.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,130
Threads: 54,245
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,651)
Welcome to our newest member, hewlieje

Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 13,150 Times in 2,246 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Vintage Family Christmas Decorations

I have been wondering or should I say I have a question and would like some advise.
I have my grandparents christmas decorations in which I display/ put them out every year inside my house because to me, it is my way of remembering and honoring their memory and returning the same love they gave to me all my life, especially this time of year.
Some of my family members have made fun of me doing this and I was wondering does anyone else put out their family old christmas decorations up for the holidays and is that ok or too tacky?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,767 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Welcome, xmastidings!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

HollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elfHollyJells is a good elf
holly

YOu know it is each person's personal choice. I have ornaments that over over 60 years old and I still put them out. My MIL in law has been giving me them piecemeal for the past 6 years. If YOU love putting them out then everyone else should just be happy with that. Maybe they are jealous you thought of this idea first or maybe they are trying to tell you they want one or two to remember them, wither way it is all up to you. Christmas decorating is a personal and sometimes tiring choice but in the end if you are satisfied then leave it at that.
xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,944 Times in 3,825 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
if i had decorations like that i would defo put em display....nuttin tacky bout it

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (11-20-2010), xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,209 Times in 6,090 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm sorry to hear that your family "makes fun" of your tradition! I guess they don't know the stories and memories that go with each ornament. I have a small tree, and there's a memory attached to nearly every ornament that I hang on it. So here's another vote for never giving up your tradition of displaying your treasured memories!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 54,076 Times in 9,793 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I'm sorry to hear that your family "makes fun" of your tradition! I guess they don't know the stories and memories that go with each ornament. I have a small tree, and there's a memory attached to nearly every ornament that I hang on it. So here's another vote for never giving up your tradition of displaying your treasured memories!
I agree! Memories is what Christmas is all about to me! How can anyone make fun of good memories!!!

Right now I am looking at the angel on top of my Christmas Tree. She is 23 years old and lights up. I am shocked that I have never had to change the bulbs on her. She brings back lots of memories for me since my daughter was a baby when I got her.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
NOPE, THERE'S ABSO NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU!!! I'M SENTIMENTAL TOO. THESE "THINGS" TO EVERYONE ELSE ARE JUST THAT, BUT TO YOU THEY'RE WONDERFUL MEMORIES THAT YOU ARE BLESSED TO STILL HAVE OF YOUR FAMILY. YOU GO GIRL!!! THEY MAY BE THE ONES MISSING OUT, BECAUSE ALL THOSE MEMORIES ARE A PART OF YOUR CHRISTMAS', PAST & PRESENT.HAPPY JOYOUS TIME SPENT WITH FAMILY, THAT'S WHAT MAKES CHRISTMAS SUCH A GREAT TIME & UNFORTUNATELY, THEY DON'T GET THAT. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR DECOR EVEN WHEN THEY GIVE YOU A HARD TIME.
The Following User Says Thank You to merrymistletoe For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 54,076 Times in 9,793 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am surprised that your family would make fun of you for doing that. Seems to me they would appreciate seeing memories of their loved ones by putting up Christmas decorations they use to own.

I would give anything to have the Christmas decorations that my grandmother use to have! When I was a teenager she offered some to me and I told her that she could give them to someone else if she wanted to. I am kicking myself for it now! She passed away 7 years ago. =(

I would most definitely continue putting up the decorations every year. I don't see anything tacky about it. Keep putting them out every year and be very happy about it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (11-22-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Yup

Not only do we do it. We bought an aluminum tree and color wheel to show our favorites from family and such from the 50s and 60s.

If they don't get it....tough for them.... ENJOY THEM!
=)
Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,065 Posts
irishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the treeirishsnow you could wrap up and put under the tree