Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Ginger Bread Kits

does anyone else make ginger bread houses?

if so, do you use a kit? what brand is it? (does wal-mart carry it?)
Old 11-14-2006, 08:32 AM
MMC Forummaster & Tech Elf

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
I've had absolutely no luck with the kits. I finally gave up trying and said the next one is going to be made out of more predictable and construction friendly materials. I'm thinking some texturing on some particle board for the gingerbread and some white silicone or caulk for frosting, and then decorate as normal.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Ervserver

Target has neat kits, Martha's Living magazine this month has some neat house ideas you can easily make at home from scratch
Old 11-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Ervserver
Target has neat kits, Martha's Living magazine this month has some neat house ideas you can easily make at home from scratch
cool! i'm gonna look those up
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Ervserver

did you end up getting one?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

hutz13 has shown a merry disposition
I always say I'm going to make a gingerbread house and never get to it ... this year for sure.

Does anybody have photos of ones they have made before?

Jim

Old 11-24-2006, 01:00 PM

dominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companiondominick is a safe caroling companion
This is one of the kits that I haven't had luck with. It collapsed like two hours after I took the picture. I really think I'd be better off using wood and white silicone.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Ervserver

I've never put together a kit, have made them from scratch and have had good luck
Old 11-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

hutz13 has shown a merry disposition
Dominick

Too bad it collapsed, it looks pretty nice ... I wonder if there is anything that could be added to strengthen the icing or whatnot?

Jim
Old 11-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Well like I said, the next one I make is going to be out of construction like materials. I never intended on eating the houses, anyway. It will just be nice to have one that should probably hold up a for a few years.