Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » Asking, what do you want for Christmas?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,850)
Welcome to our newest member, HVEKU

Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Asking, what do you want for Christmas?

Question to my fellow Christmas friends here.

Do any of you ask your children, teens, young adults, adults, grandchildren etc - "What Do You Want For Christmas?"

Afew years ago I came into my inlaws family and was shocked to find they don't ask what eachother wants for Christmas.

At my parents, my family always asked for ideas on what eachother wants for Christmas. Of course SOME things are left up to figure out on your own, a few surprise gifts or something you know the person wants and doesn't know about.

But, my "mother inlaw" always wondered why the family members seemed "slightly unhappy" with gifts they recieved. She doesn't know her own family members very well, nor did they like Christmas much with her until she started asking "What would you like?" and "What are your interests?"

Now that she knows, her gift giving has changed! I know it is the thought that counts, but what happens if the gift "just isn't you?" Re-gift?

What do you do in your home with gifts? Do you "shoot in the dark" when it comes to gifts? Do you also figure out gifts your friends and family might like? Do you ask them? What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I am a big baker so most of the gifts I give to family and friends are cookies, muffins, and homemade candy, but when it comes to kids - we ALWAYS ask! I was just thinking today about how my then not-quite-3-year-old asked for "yellow trains" last Christmas. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck he meant... luckily, I have a fellow mom friend who realized he meant 2 characters (twin trains?? Who knew!) from Thomas the Tank Engine. He was so thrilled that Santa brought the one thing he asked for!

But yes, we've always asked and always BEEN asked by parents, which is nice, even as adults!!

I have many "not me" gifts that just get sent to he basement to die a slow, painful death..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011), Spyells (10-03-2012)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by judesmama View Post
I am a big baker so most of the gifts I give to family and friends are cookies, muffins, and homemade candy, but when it comes to kids - we ALWAYS ask! I was just thinking today about how my then not-quite-3-year-old asked for "yellow trains" last Christmas. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the heck he meant... luckily, I have a fellow mom friend who realized he meant 2 characters (twin trains?? Who knew!) from Thomas the Tank Engine. He was so thrilled that Santa brought the one thing he asked for!

But yes, we've always asked and always BEEN asked by parents, which is nice, even as adults!!

I have many "not me" gifts that just get sent to he basement to die a slow, painful death..

Aww, that is very sweet! "Slow, painful death" LOL. My next question is "when is goodwill day?" See ya "not me" gifts lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,724 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am usually know what the people want, from listening and also from just knowing my family and friends. And so is my mom....she has never in my life asked what I wish for Christmas since I am a grown up.....she always knows.....and my fiance did, too this last christmass.....the Wii had brought out a special edition....it was red and came with the regular wii sports, plus New Super Mario Bros Wii and a pre installed Donkey Kong..........I wished for that so hard........and I really got it....even tho it is quite expensive....that was awesome

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-05-2011), MsChristmas (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I do a little bit of both... I try to pay attention throughout the year and write down ideas (I actually have a WORD program at work saved with one is gifts I have bought and for who and the other is gift ideas) most people think Im crazy but I know you Christmas friends wont . For the kids we usually let them look at ad's or when they see commericals and tell us ideas of things they like. I usually get my Grandma slippers almost every year and my Mom now expects a personalized calendar with the kids pictures on it each year.... so some things are surprises and some things are not... I think everyone likes to be surprised as long as someone has paid enough attention to get them something they will enjoy
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Do any of you ask your children, teens, young adults, adults, grandchildren etc - "What Do You Want For Christmas?"

No, if I need gift ideas for my parents I go to my sisters and vice versa.

Afew years ago I came into my inlaws family and was shocked to find they don't ask what eachother wants for Christmas.

At my parents, my family always asked for ideas on what eachother wants for Christmas. Of course SOME things are left up to figure out on your own, a few surprise gifts or something you know the person wants and doesn't know about.

But, my "mother inlaw" always wondered why the family members seemed "slightly unhappy" with gifts they recieved. She doesn't know her own family members very well, nor did they like Christmas much with her until she started asking "What would you like?" and "What are your interests?"

Same thing w/ my mom. My sisters and I teased her about the fact that she had us make up our own Christmas lists.

Now that she knows, her gift giving has changed! I know it is the thought that counts, but what happens if the gift "just isn't you?" Re-gift?

I still keep it though my youngest sister didn't do well in the gift giving last year (giving a gift to me!) I was hoping to get some gift cards for the supermarket or something along those lines.

What do you do in your home with gifts? Do you "shoot in the dark" when it comes to gifts? Do you also figure out gifts your friends and family might like? Do you ask them? What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.

I really try my hardest to NOT "shoot in the dark." I really do try to find/give something that each person will like. I rarely go straight to them and ask them what they want. I DO try to pay attention through out the year and notice what they're going thru (Mom's retiring, Sam's working a lot at two jobs, etc.) and in November I try to come up with gift ideas that they'll like based on what they've gone through the year.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
I think the combo of both is great. I try and keep my ear open all year for the 'ooo I'd really like one of those' and 'if anyone wants to get me anything this would be it' remarks.

The children love making a santa collage full of cut out and stuck on pictures of things they would like, favourite colours and chocolate/candy.

I'd hate to think someone didn't like the gift I had bought them, although I would never admit to not liking something. So by asking what they would like/need it keeps everyone happy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
Adam (06-04-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), whitney37354 (06-02-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I was raised in a 'no list' household. This was primarily because we were extremely poor and we never knew how much 'Santa' could afford to spend on us.

Seriously, to stop us asking/mentioning expensive gifts, my mom told us that Santa sent her a bill after Christmas and she had to pay him for our gifts - and, kids, Santa isn't cheap because he has to support all those Elves and they're unionized.

So, I learned to really pay attention to people, their likes, their interests and what they mention 'in passing'. I file it away for gift giving reference. I also got VERY good at dropping the occasional hint around the holidays so that people wouldn't be completely in the dark about what to get me.

As a result I was very uncomfortable when I married in the hubs family - they're a list family. I was 26 years old, married and my mother-in-law was asking me for a list. EEK! I was horribly embarrassed, had no idea what to put on there - what if I offended her by asking for things that were too cheap or too expensive. UGH! Too much stress for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,697 Times in 14,905 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Can I answer yes & no?

In my house we all ask what each other what we want, I usually have my list mad out and given to my wife by November. She usually gets hers to me by Black Friday. (I usually know what to look for her though) With the kids what we do is save the Sunday paper ads for Kmart, Walmart, ToysRUs, etc... and then we give them to the boys let them cut out the things they like and then let them glue it on to some paper. Then we select the lists and give a page to grandparents aunts uncles. The kids lists made by the kids even though they don't know how to write. The extended family we do ask but for the most part we choose "safe" gifts, for my grandma it was my tradition to give her a collectible Possible Dreams Santa Claus, I did that for her for more than a decade, Dad-something to do with his favorite sports team, or Omaha steaks. Stuff like that
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,983 Times in 9,434 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by rockchild View Post
What I do personally, throughout the year, is keep tabs on what each person talks about, things they point out, things they like etc.
This is what I do. I don't ask what they want but pay attention to the things they talk about through the year. Then I get the reaction of "how did you know"? I was listening!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Adam (05-17-2011), Christmasstar (06-05-2011), happyelf (05-24-2011), MsChristmas (06-01-2011)