Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
"Behind the White Brick"...
By MerryCarey
10-31-2011 11:46 AM
89,357 Views  0 Posts
What is Mrs. Claus'...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:53 PM
57,368 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Changing Face of...
By MMC Editor
10-31-2011 08:23 AM
60,109 Views  0 Posts
stocking How to Have an...
By MMC Editor
10-31-2012 11:49 PM
31,822 Views  0 Posts
present The Delicate Art of...
By MMC Editor
09-13-2011 12:12 AM
46,066 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Post christmas blues

Yes here it is again my friends, the evil that is the post Christmas blues. I try my hardest to ignore it but it can be hard to shake the feelings.

There is so much build up, friends, music, food, decorations and music. Even the stores are decorated. It's so hard to see everything wind down and for life to "go back to normal." I always have a hard time adjusting after like I was in a wonderful winter wonderland and there no longer.

I know many of you can relate to these feelings. It just doesn't feel good. I feel sad.

I am going to do my best to continue to enjoy the rest of this year and early next by leaving my decor up. My tree is still decorated and beautiful. Hallmark still has Christmas movies on. I do my very best to keep the spirit as much as humanly possible but at times it can be difficult when its all over.

I'm just glad this community is here to understand what I mean and feel. This happens every year and I do my best to remember these feelings will leave and I will once again be reminded the Christmas spirit never truly leaves me.

Thanks for listening

How are you doing with it?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-31-2012), ClaireLovesChristmas (01-01-2013), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), RachRon (12-30-2012), Seawaters (07-05-2013), snowflake22 (01-18-2014), xmas365 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,620 Times in 339 Posts
'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe'Tis the season would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It's really after New Years Day when I really feel it. I try not to think about it too much till then. Just focus on things you want to achieve this year and plan for them. January is a depressing month and nearly everyone will feel the same. When all else fails you can always come on hear.
Adam (12-30-2012), caninemom3 (12-31-2012), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

tbutler has shown a merry disposition
By the time the holidays are over, I'm ready for things to go back to normal. I really enjoy the Christmas prep, which I do the other 11 months of the year. I've got my spreadsheets and notebooks ready to go for 2013. The first stocking stuffers have been purchased. Christmas music is still on whenever I want to listen to it. To tell you th truth,this year kind of got away from me. I was too busy throughout the season, and I didn't enjoy Christmas as much. I'm anxious to he the jump on 2013 and get myself in a position of kicking back after Thanksgiving and doing nothing but loving Christmas.

So, no holiday blues for me! Just a new part of year round Christmas!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tbutler For This Useful Post:
Adam (12-30-2012), caninemom3 (12-31-2012), Christmas24/7 (01-09-2013), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), momnan30 (12-30-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

tbutler has shown a merry disposition
One thing I will miss - I love listening to old time radio shows that are Christmas themed after Thanksgiving. Those are put away after Christmas. I love those old shows and miss them throughout the year. Also missed are the Christmas podcasts I subscribe to, especially Grants Advent Calendar Video Podcast. So, I guess I am feeling a little bit blue right now!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tbutler For This Useful Post:
Adam (12-30-2012), caninemom3 (12-31-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,676 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by tbutler View Post
By the time the holidays are over, I'm ready for things to go back to normal. I really enjoy the Christmas prep, which I do the other 11 months of the year. I've got my spreadsheets and notebooks ready to go for 2013. The first stocking stuffers have been purchased. Christmas music is still on whenever I want to listen to it. To tell you th truth,this year kind of got away from me. I was too busy throughout the season, and I didn't enjoy Christmas as much. I'm anxious to he the jump on 2013 and get myself in a position of kicking back after Thanksgiving and doing nothing but loving Christmas.

So, no holiday blues for me! Just a new part of year round Christmas!
I feel the same way...too much going on personally leading up to Christmas this year and I'm hoping to get a jump on 2013 and be more relaxed for the actual season of cheer!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Adam (12-30-2012), caninemom3 (12-31-2012), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014), tbutler (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. Its like a great big Christmas hug. Your support and simply sharing is enough to make me smile and I appreciate it very much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-31-2012), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I'm with you Adam. I've posted the same thing many years here. But, I've found some ways that help including the ones in the blog on this site (I don't have the link in front of me, but it had 5 tips for helping with the PCB's)

First, being here at MMC and knowing that it's OK to celebrate the magic of Christmas year round. My PCB's have gotten a lot better since I've been a member here.

Some of the things I do to help:
  1. I record a lot of local Christmas radio programing and then I can listen to it year round. But it especially helps right now as that was what I would listen to as I did my morning devotional, with my coffee by the tree. So, now I just put my recorded music on an enjoy that same feeling while doing my reading. And my tree will be up till about January 6th or so.
  2. I record a lot of Christmas shows on DVR and keep on watching them after Christmas. In fact, I am doing a lot of catching up on ones that I missed during the season.
  3. I like what the writer of the previously mentioned blog (I think it was Jeff) said. YOU decide when Christmas is over, not the calender. I've done that for some time. I used to feel funny about that, but I quit caring what other people think about my outside lighting display being on into January a few years ago as I've gotten bolder about being a total Christmas maniac.
  4. I never have time to read all my Christmas books that I like to read during the season, so I catch up on those.
  5. My kids and I celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas starting on Christmas Day by singing each day of the song before we go to bed. In other words today is the sixth day so we start the song on the sixth day and go backwards.
  6. I've determined in my heart to keep the feeling of Christmas and the love and joy all year long. That's hard for me because I've very involved in politics, but I'm determined not to let politics get the best of me this year.
  7. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers, we all have our own way of celebrating Christmas, but I couldn't disagree more with those who are ready to move on and get back to normal. Normal is boring, who is to say what is normal anyway? To me, Christmas is what is normal. The rest of the year what is not normal. I listen to Christmas music all year round and watch Christmas TV any time I want.
Read that blog I mentioned also, it may help: OK, I've quit being lazy and looked it up: http://mymerrychristmas.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49568

Merry Sixth Day of Christmas Adam!
'Tis the season (01-01-2013), Adam (12-31-2012), caninemom3 (12-31-2012), ClaireLovesChristmas (01-01-2013), gabulldawg (12-31-2012), snowflake22 (01-18-2014)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

Art has shown a merry dispositionArt has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Blues

I realized many years ago that I could not survive with just one or two weeks a year of Christmas in my life. I am 65 years old, and about 25 years ago I decided to leave my home fully decorated year round. I have twelve fully decorated & lit Christmas trees (for the 12 days of Christmas of course) throughout my home. Also have a collection of over 3,000 St.Nicholas/Santas which are in every room, corner,nook, bookcase, shelve, etc. I listen to Christmas music 365 days a year, and I share Christmas Spirit 24/7, 365 days a year. It is totally awesome! My family and friends know that they can come to my home in the middle of the dog days of summer and have a Christmas Dinner. I also keep a year round supply of snow balls in my deep freezer which I save and cherish all winter long. Nothing like a snow ball fight in the middle of July. I know it is overkill for me, but try keeping just one room decorated to avoid those Christmas blues. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Art For This Useful Post:
DoubleA (07-06-2013), snowflake22 (01-18-2014), xmas365 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Art,

3000 Santas?

WOW. I'd love to see a picture of that!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Art View Post
I realized many years ago that I could not survive with just one or two weeks a year of Christmas in my life. I am 65 years old, and about 25 years ago I decided to leave my home fully decorated year round. I have twelve fully decorated & lit Christmas trees (for the 12 days of Christmas of course) throughout my home. Also have a collection of over 3,000 St.Nicholas/Santas which are in every room, corner,nook, bookcase, shelve, etc. I listen to Christmas music 365 days a year, and I share Christmas Spirit 24/7, 365 days a year. It is totally awesome! My family and friends know that they can come to my home in the middle of the dog days of summer and have a Christmas Dinner. I also keep a year round supply of snow balls in my deep freezer which I save and cherish all winter long. Nothing like a snow ball fight in the middle of July. I know it is overkill for me, but try keeping just one room decorated to avoid those Christmas blues. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-05-2013), xmas365 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

BoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wow that sounds so awesome!! I would love to see pics too!
The Following User Says Thank You to BoxerMom For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-05-2013)