Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » Christmas Film Festival : February 2013 A Charlie Brown Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,132
Threads: 54,248
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, elf princess

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,101 Times in 2,454 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
santahat Christmas Film Festival : February 2013 A Charlie Brown Christmas

We're pleased to announce the launch of the Year Round Christmas Film Festival. We will focus on one or two films of Christmas each month not always the most well known and discuss the film right here on the Merry Forums.

The film will be announced the first week of each month at ChristmasFlix.com, our partner in promoting this event. ChristmasFlix.com will post a feature about the film, offering background information about the making of the film or the creation of the story.

Occasionally we may also offer quizzes and prizes associated with the focus of the film festival for that month. Join us!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (02-05-2013), Christmas-A-Holic (02-05-2013), Christmasstar (02-12-2013), Seawaters (03-02-2013), snowflake22 (02-05-2013), sugar142286 (02-07-2013), Superfreak3 (02-03-2013), tbutler (02-05-2013), trackrebel (02-03-2013), XmasDreams (02-05-2013), Yuletide Junkie (02-08-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,948 Times in 3,828 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
awesome

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-12-2013), snowflake22 (02-05-2013), sugar142286 (02-07-2013), XmasDreams (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,101 Times in 2,454 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
santahat February Film Festival Title: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Our Christmas Film Festival title of the month for February is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Please see this feature at ChristmasFlix.com for a history of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

For more info about the making of A Charlie Brown Christmas and about Charles Schulz we also turn your attention to Episode #18 of the Merry Podcast.

Throughout the month we will post some questions about the film here in this thread for discussion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-12-2013), GingerMel (02-05-2013), snowflake22 (02-05-2013), sugar142286 (02-07-2013), XmasDreams (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,948 Times in 3,828 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love it

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-12-2013), snowflake22 (02-05-2013), sugar142286 (02-07-2013), XmasDreams (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 54,084 Times in 9,793 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds like fun! I am looking forward to it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,244 Times in 496 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I really enjoyed reading the history of Charlie Brown Christmas special.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,209 Times in 6,090 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm not really "qualified" to speak on children, because I don't have children. But personally I'd like kids to be able to see "A Charlie Brown Christmas." The simple and straightforward way in which the Bible reading is done is non-inflammatory (or should be), and would be a good starting point for talking with children about the verses and what they mean. Linus's recitation is my favorite part of the special. The whole special is a good starting point for a discussion about what Christmas means to oneself and one's own family values.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-11-2013), caninemom3 (02-09-2013), Christmasstar (02-12-2013), MerryBells (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Could you imagine the uproar if this special was made and released for the first time in 2012 ? When I was a kid this special was one I loooked forward to every year. I can remember the half page display in the tv guide every year the week it was on.Of course we only had maybe 6 channels to choose from so it was big when these specials came on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-09-2013), Christmasstar (02-12-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
I enjoy the simplicity of a Charlie Brown Christmas, living in England I was probably around 12 or 13 when I first saw this. I take no offence to the Biblical verse in this Cartoon, people who are "offended" need to take into context when this was made, and if they are still offended watch something else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScottCalvin For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-11-2013), caninemom3 (02-10-2013), Christmasstar (02-12-2013), Superfreak3 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 29,886 Times in 4,736 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Living in the "Bible Belt", I never even had an idea that anyone in the world had a problem with it...until the internet entered the scene. Then, it seems, the movie was this big deal just because of the recitation of a few lines from the Bible.

I don't get the whole "I'm offended by it, so YOU have to stop it" idea, anyway. There's PLENTY on TV that offends me these days, and I respond by...wait for it...turning the channel. It's Charlie Brown, for goodness' sake. It is just about as inoffensive a cartoon as has ever been made. The same people who complain about A Charlie Brown Christmas probably also watch Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. That stuff is as offensive as it gets (on a cartoon station!), but I respond by blocking the channel.

Funny, I didn't even have to go to court, or try to take it away from someone who, incomprehensibly, enjoys it. Now I can focus on the things that are important to me.

And, to agree with Jay, The Charlie Brown specials all gave me an appreciation for jazz that I'd never had before. Not that I ever disliked it before. I had simply never really been exposed to it. I love the music for the Charlie Brown specials!
caninemom3 (02-12-2013), Christmasstar (02-12-2013), RachRon (02-11-2013)