Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Need advise for the fear of flying

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,731 Times in 2,168 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Need advise for the fear of flying

I am in need of some advise and help. I have a profound fear of flying which causes me to have a panic attack when I get on an airplane (I do not like heights). I go on-line and read alot of blah-blah-blah, (at least that's what it appears to me). My wife hit me with a bomb shell last night that we are now flying San Antonio Texas and I'm scared to death of getting on an airplane.

Is there anything recommended (from your past experiences) or advise that you can offer to me and that I could share with my doctor that I can take, do, etc... that will help me out with being on a 3-4 hour flight? And, fyi, I do not drink any alcohol any longer.

I am at a loss here but I do plan to call my doctor to see if there is anything he can prescribe to help me with this task that I have to face...

Thank you~

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), gabulldawg (04-18-2013), made582 (04-18-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
sent you a PM about this issue
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
My problem with flying isn't fear, it is irritation. I'm glad I've largely given up the business travel I used to do. For me, absorption in other stuff -- music, movies, etc -- really helped get through it. If I was able to tune out the environment I got through it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I feel for you and i have no advice
For am worst than you . am like ba outta the a team
there is no getting me on a plane
Heights as well i cant even look at a roller coaster ride on the tv my head and stomach start
I have missed so much because of it as i have been oftered more chances to go places and cant

I have a few scars on planes and that finished me.
so i hope someone can help you i really do as they do say it is one of the safest way to travel.
And someday you may live to regret it as i know i will

Sorry i cant be of any help but just wanted to let you know your not the only one on mmc ~}
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Your wife can't know that you're this terrified or why would she book you on a 3-4 hour flight??? Is it something you've managed to keep to yourself??
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,003 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
I don't know of what advise to give except maybe take some classes that are devoted to this issue. Check with your Dr. and see that He/She may advise. they could very possibly give you some medication to take to calm you nerves. I hope everything works out. BTW the graduation services are so cool at boot camp. You want to be feeling good during this time. You will be so proud of your son and he will be a different person than he was the last time you saw him!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,731 Times in 2,168 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Your wife can't know that you're this terrified or why would she book you on a 3-4 hour flight??? Is it something you've managed to keep to yourself??
Nah, she knows! We flew to the islands 15 years ago and I about embarassed her big time with my reactions to every bump and such on the plane... it's one of these situations where I'm faced with either flying, driving for 25 hours, sitting on a train for 52 hours or stay at home! So with my wife, daughter and In-laws all going, I would be the only one that would be left home and I would then miss my sons graduation from the Air Force bootcamp, which I do not want to miss.

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,619 Times in 12,678 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Redkaga, would you send me the same PM? I, too, am deathly afraid of flying.

Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
sent you a PM about this issue
Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,036 Times in 2,880 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
Jeff´s advise sounded quite well....listen to music, watch movies, play games....stuff like this....and yes...try the doctor and ask him if there is anything he can prescribe
Originally Posted by xmastidings View Post
Nah, she knows! We flew to the islands 15 years ago and I about embarassed her big time with my reactions to every bump and such on the plane... it's one of these situations where I'm faced with either flying, driving for 25 hours, sitting on a train for 52 hours or stay at home! So with my wife, daughter and In-laws all going, I would be the only one that would be left home and I would then miss my sons graduation from the Air Force bootcamp, which I do not want to miss.
I hAVE tryed everything mentioned there . music, films sleeping tablets, you name it i have tryed it. and yes like someone has said on here i have embrassied myslef holding on to the seats as if that was gonna help..
once for my birthday 2 tickets was booked for new york at christmas and i swore i was going. i got to airport got though the boarding gate, got out to where the plane was and ...... end of i froze i could not do it. but my parther understood and now he knows never mention a plane again.
am like you xmas i wood love to be able to get on a plane

Is there no way yo and the mrs could drive make a break of it. stay over night somewhere in between have a little holiday to yoursleves, for your be a nervious wreck before ,and during the whole thing
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-19-2013), snowflake22 (04-19-2013), xmastidings (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Okay - this may seem a little off the wall, but at work, we broadcast our weddings and citizenship ceremonies on UStream. If you find you are unable to overcome your fear and you can't persuade your wife to take a roadtrip, why not get someone to film it as it's taking place and you can watch it live on the internet?? If there's WiFi, or even if you get a dongle, they can connect to the internet and stream it for you. Even Skype. iPads are really handy for this!!!!! Even smartphones or your basic laptop

I've actually done weddings where it's been 2-way and the friends and relatives in Australia, the Maldives etc. have done readings for the wedding in Scotland and everybody could see and hear everybody else. The worst that happened was there was a 2-minute time delay. Even my son's college graduation in June is being streamed live.

It's not perfect but it's a solution if you can't get round your fear.

Last edited by Maureen; 04-19-2013 at 03:28 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maureen For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), snowflake22 (04-19-2013), xmastidings (04-19-2013)