Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Is It A Christmas Song?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Annual Survey of...
By MMC Editor
09-16-2013 08:19 AM
Last post by icetene33
10-21-2013 04:04 PM
19,346 Views  2 Posts
How to Properly Light...
By MMC Editor
08-29-2011 02:10 AM
0 Posts
Xtree1 Don't Say Goodbye, Just...
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 08:07 PM
0 Posts
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts
Christmas Baby
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:01 PM
41,046 Views  0 Posts

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,852 Times in 2,714 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Is It A Christmas Song?

On the latest edition of the Merry Podcast, the Merle Haggard classic “If We Make It Through December” is played. I have liked that song since the first time I heard it (about ten years or so ago…it was old then). The country stations around here play it year round. I even heard it today, as I was driving in 90+ degree heat in mid-June! I have never thought of it specifically as a Christmas song. It got me wondering how others interpret the song. It does mention the Holiday several times, and one of the major themes is a dad not being able to provide a Christmas for his daughter. So, just wondering on what you all’s thoughts on the song are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,019 Times in 174 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Hmmmm. It isn't a traditional Christmas song, but I think it's one that should be played every Christmas season, along with Pretty Paper. I guess I'd say yes, it is a Christmas song, just about an aspect of Christmas that we don't like to think about but maybe should.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (06-14-2013), Ryan (06-12-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013), trackrebel (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
This is a really good topic, Ryan. Thanks for bringing it up.

Let me share with you first why I included that song in the podcast. For months now I've been receiving email from country fans that we're not being representative enough in the podcast or on the radio stations with country Christmas music. Particularly with the passing of George Jones recently (we're working on a bit there).

But I had one emailer write me that this was a very traditional song with their family, with a message that was very appropriate at the time they first heard the music -- and it is just as timely for them today as they are struggling.

So you never can really say what is a Christmas song or what isn't, because everyone will have a different take on it.

Jingle Bells, for example, has NOTHING to do with Christmas.

Same with Let it Snow.

I'm sure we can find dozens of others in music -- just like movies -- that aren't technically Christmas related but that we associate with Christmas anyway.

On another angle on this...isn't interesting how Christmas music crosses so many genres? We've been working on play lists and such and we were talking about how there is almost nowhere near the diversity in overall music as there is in Christmas. On one little station we've got everything from chorale to country to rock to jazz to blues to R&B to pop all with top hits, all with popular tunes.

Christmas is amazing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (06-14-2013), Festive Spirit (06-17-2013), Meceka (06-12-2013), RadioJonD (06-12-2013), Ryan (06-12-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
I have noticed that too, Jeff, about the diversity in Christmas music. Around Christmas time, several of our local stations switch to all Christmas. Stations that normally only play new artists or country artists will suddenly be playing Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, and Nat King Cole mixed in with new, young artists.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (06-14-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

"If We Make It Through December" may be one of the only Christmas songs I can think of that receives year round play, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
"If We Make It Through December" may be one of the only Christmas songs I can think of that receives year round play, though.
Good point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,056 Times in 3,685 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have never heard the song....from Your description, tho....it sure sounds like it is one...and makes me want to listen to it

Gesendet von meinem LT18i mit Tapatalk 4

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Ryan (06-12-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Somebody needs to do a show on MCR featuring these type tunes!....Wait...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Meceka (06-12-2013), Ryan (06-13-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Somebody needs to do a show on MCR featuring these type tunes!....Wait...
THREAD KILLER!!!!

jk...right you are, RJD....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (06-12-2013), snowflake22 (06-12-2013), xmas365 (06-12-2013)