Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Cookies Click here to visit this social group

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,097
Threads: 53,976
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,477)
Welcome to our newest member, TAlbritto
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Christmas cookie?
Chocolate Chip - of course 16 34.78%
Butter cookies - the more butter, the better 7 15.22%
Cookie press cookies - love the shapes 6 13.04%
Jam thumbprints - sweet and yummy 0 0%
Sugar cookies - sparkling sweet 11 23.91%
Mint suprise cookies - tasty, chocolately, minty 3 6.52%
Molasses cookies - crinkly, dark and crunchy 3 6.52%
Anything I don't have to bake 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Iluvsantasandsnowpeople View Post
OK, y'all, I have been able to make anything I want but Biscuits, they do not rise and Sugar cookies they always turn out hard, and you better not try to bite them cuz they will break your teeth,
I mastered fudge a couple years ago. So what am I doing wrong!!
I do so love Sugar cookies please help!!
And Hello to everyone!
For your biscuits - sounds like you could be over mixing the batter. Just to mix it enough just to moisten all the ingredients. Also it's best to use fresh baking soda/baking powder.
As for the cookie, sounds like you could be over cooking them. Are you doing drop suagr cookies to using cookie cutters? I have a recipe at home cut out sugar cookies that I use all the time. If you want I can PM the receipe to you. Let me know.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

Iluvsantasandsnowpeople has shown a merry dispositionIluvsantasandsnowpeople has shown a merry disposition
Hello Minta, Thanx, I would love your recipe, Thanx, so much!! I saw you are from NJ. My parents live in CT. and they said it's kind of cool there, here it's been in the 90's with high humidity!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Mistress of Home & Decor

Last Achievements

MrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the treeMrsH you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Iluvsantasandsnowpeople View Post
OK, y'all, I have been able to make anything I want but Biscuits, they do not rise and Sugar cookies they always turn out hard, and you better not try to bite them cuz they will break your teeth,
I mastered fudge a couple years ago. So what am I doing wrong!!
I do so love Sugar cookies please help!!
And Hello to everyone!
Try this sugar cookie recipe:

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
4 1/4 cups Gold MedalŪ all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar

1. In large bowl, beat 1 cup granulated sugar, the powdered sugar, butter, oil, milk, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Cover; refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
2. Heat oven to 350°F. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in small bowl. Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place balls about 3 inches apart. Flatten to 1/4-inch thickness with bottom of glass. Sprinkle cookies with a little additional sugar.
3. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until set and edges just begin to brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
I hope it ok that I am also contributing a recipe for Christmas cookies too. This is a recipe I use every year...they are soft and really good.
Sour Cream Christmas Cookie
1c. Shortening
2c. Sugar
2 eggs (well beaten)
1 tsp. of vanilla
1c. Sour Cream
4 c. Flour (I use white/all purpose Medal Gold or Store brand)
1 tsp. Soda
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
In a large bowl blend together shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup sour cream....
add 1/2 c. of flour, then the soda,baking powder and salt... mix/blend together...
then add the rest of the sour cream and flour... mix/blend it all together.
Chill your dough for 1 hr.
Roll out cookie dough on a floured board (counter top) a little at a time. Cut out and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 min.
** One thing I have learned about making these is when I roll out my dough I don't roll it real thin. I leave them a little thick so they are super soft**

Also....You can make these cookies ahead of time and freeze them and decorate at a later time. They don't lose their flavor. Just make sure they are 100% cooled off so they don't stick together and break into many pieces. I let mine cool and then put them in a zip loc freeze bag.

~Enjoy~
Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Rolled Sugar Cookies: From Pillsbury Cookbook

1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup margarine or butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In large bowl, combine 1 sugar, butter, milk, vanilla and egg, blend well. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.

heat oven to 400 degrees. On lightly flured surface rollout 1/3 of the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Decorate with sugar crystals if so desired. Bake at 400 for 5 to 9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.
Yield 5 to 6 dozen.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Last Achievements

sdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elf
I love frosted sugar cookies. I asked my kids what they wanted to do during the Christmas season this year. The choices boiled down to bake cookies and play games. I try to set aside one Saturday in December to bake cookies and make fudge with the kids. Yes, I'm a guy doing this; but I've been baking since I was a kid. We usually make several kinds of cookies and candy. Then we'll take some of the goodies to our neighbors. Last year we bought a cookie press and made 4 different kinds of spritz cookies. This year we'll be doing sugar cookies (requested by my oldest daughter) and pumpkin fudge plus some other things. I also want to make some cinnamon ornaments (non-edible) for us and to give away. I have a number of cookie recipes on my website, www.customsofchristmas.com, plus more ready to add to it when I get the time.

"In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child." - Santa Claus, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by sdkluger View Post
I love frosted sugar cookies. I asked my kids what they wanted to do during the Christmas season this year. The choices boiled down to bake cookies and play games. I try to set aside one Saturday in December to bake cookies and make fudge with the kids. Yes, I'm a guy doing this; but I've been baking since I was a kid. We usually make several kinds of cookies and candy.
That is so awesome. My hubby has been pitching in more and more each year when it times to bake cookies for the holidays. He helps the kids with the cutters and decorating the cookies. Got to love a guy in the kitchen! LOL!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,624 Times in 12,681 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Chocolate chip right out of the oven. And I like a soft gingersnap/molasses cookie, too. Then again, a soft sugar cookie with icing on top is hard to beat.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I love them all.. also Cinnamon stars and Coconut Macaroons and Gingerbread Men and many others..
Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Christmasologist

kidzrme is a good elfkidzrme is a good elfkidzrme is a good elfkidzrme is a good elfkidzrme is a good elfkidzrme is a good elf
Ok all... Now I am HUNGRY!!! Lol!