Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,938
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,013)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 10-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Faith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to othersFaith4always is a gift to others
Originally Posted by joyful View Post
I grew up eating homemade applesauce. Yep, I was the one that had to take a paper bag and go up to my g-grandmother's house and pick up the apples on the ground, not allowed to get them off the tree.
Then my mom would peel, cut up, cook, put them through her "falley" (that's what she called the thing that mashed them up), then it was put in sterlized jars and lids placed on, then during the night you would hear strange popping sounds when you were trying to sleep. First one always made me jump.

Well, I love homemade applesauce but never wanted to go through what my mother did so I do mine this way:

I peel the apples (I only use Macintosh or Cortland apples). I take the core out with my handy dandy core remover, slice the apples, put them in a microwave safe glass dish with a glass lid, mic them for about 3 to 4 minutes till apples are soft. Depending on how many apples you have and how big your dish is, it could boil over in your mic so keep an eye on it.
I usually do about 8 apples at a time.

Take them out of dish, place them in my blender, give it a whirl (we like ours really blended but some like the little chunks and if you do don't blend it as long)

Pour it out of the blender, now you can added sugar now or do it before you blend them, I usually do it before I blend it. If I do about 8 apples, I add 1/2 cup of sugar but it can be adjusted to taste.

Before serving is when I add my cinnamon and add more sugar if needed.

Now instead of canning this I freeze my applesauce. You can put it in plastic containers or the freezer bags (bags take up less room in the freezer). If you forget to get it out of the freezer in plenty of time, you can pop it in the mic to defrost it.

Also before I serve it, we like it warm so I mic it for a few seconds before adding cinnamon.
This is a hit with my grandchildren, we do not like store bought applesauce, it's just not the same. Perfect treat to have with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.

That sounds soooo good!

Merry Christmasly yours,
Linda Bobo Reddoch
The Following User Says Thank You to Faith4always For This Useful Post:
joyful (10-29-2008)