Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » YES!!! I hit a jackpot at the used CD shop!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Mr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elf
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
I think I have the Rhino "Bummer Christmas" CD. It's kinda neat, but not a must have.

The ones I mentioned above are oop and very expensive when you find them. I keep hoping to find them cheap at a yard sale, thrift store, pawn shop, etc. A good used record store will more than likely know their value though it never hurts to look!
It's funny... this is a very good and reputable shop... very popular here and I don't know what it is... maybe they just don't care, but I have found rare and out of print CDs that were going for alot on amazon in the bins for $1.99 - $4.99 (the one example that comes to my mind is the Ted Nugent - State of Shock cd... I found it there for $4.99 and it's still going for over 50 bucks at Amazon). I think they do such a large volume of business in and out that they are not going to sit and investigate the worth of CD that comes in. And i think they attract such a large volume of business because we all know there's gold in them hills.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:00 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I've had similar success at a used shop in Nashville, TN.

I suppose being able to identify every "collectable" that comes through the shop is difficult at best. One would have to have a fairly broad knowledge of genres, styles, media and artists to know what's valuable. One would also have to know to whom the item would be valuable in order to sell at “collector’s” prices.

The value placed on at least some out of print media is being deluded by digital downloads. This has caused prices on oop vinyl and CDs to fall since companies are discovering a profit margin from download sales. Often, they can remaster and/or clean up rare tracks relatively easily and offer them at a nominal cost for volume download sales.

In the case of the two CDs that I mentioned before, only a few tracks make them valuable in certain markets. The “value” tracks are the ones that have only appeared in digital form on these compilations. A couple of these tracks are now available as inexpensive downloads so the “Hillbilly Holiday” CD doesn’t command the price it once did in the collector market.

Of course there will always be collectors who will go for an item for the cover art and nostalgia, etc. I am somewhat in between in that I’m not gonna pay fifty bucks or more for a CD containing only two tracks that I do not have or can legally and cheaply download. But, I will pick up the CD/lp, etc. if I see it in a price range that I can afford!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Mr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elf
No luck with those 2 requests today, but I'll keep looking until they put the Christmas stuff back in storage. Not as big a grab as the other day, but I did find somethings including one that I'm still in shock over.

I picked up 'Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns - 'Twas The Night Before Christmas'... I knew nothing about Huey Smith, but I saw that it was from 1962 and the cover had a nostalgic kinda look to it so I figured it was worth checking out for $4.99. Anyway, I was checking stuff out on Amazon and was I shocked to see that this is selling for between $63 and $92. I can't tell the wife or she'll wanna sell it.

I also got
Harry Belafonte - To Wish You A Merry Christmas (1962) - 1.99
Andy Williams - Christmas (1974) - 1.99
Diana Ross - Making Spirits Bright (Hallmark 1994) - 1.99
Hilary Duff - Santa Claus Lane (2003) - 1.99 Alright... so I like her version of 'Last Christmas' go ahead and make fun of me!
Henry Mancini - A Merry Mancini Christmas (1966) - 2.99

and I also picked up the 2006 DVD of 'Holiday Inn' for 7.99 and Neil Diamond's 'Serenade' for 2.99

Then I stopped in FYE which also sells used CDs, but they are kinda on the expensive side... any way I found a couple reasonably priced un-used CDs I have been looking for...
Heart - A Lovemonger's Christmas (2001) - 7.88
Gladys Knight & The Pips - The Christmas Album (1975) - 7.99
They were having a special on used CDs where if you bought 2 you got 20% off so I grabbed...
A Very Special Acoustic Christmas - Various (2003) - 4.80
and my score of the day.......
Neil Diamond - Stages (2003) for $20... this is a 5cd/1dvd box set and it's cool because disc 5 is all live Christmas songs! I've been wanting this one for a real long time.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

If you like N'awlins style music, you’ll enjoy the Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns CD! That’s some of that cool cool deep South (of I-10) stuff! I suppose their biggest hit is "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" from the late fifties, covered by many others since.

Smith played the piano on many other New Orleans artists’ recordings including Fats Domino. If I remember correctly, he also played piano on some early Little Richard sides.

Good haul! Where is this place anyway?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

If you like N'awlins style music, youíll enjoy the Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns CD! Thatís some of that cool cool deep South (of I-10) stuff! I suppose their biggest hit is "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" from the late fifties, covered by many others since.

Smith played the piano on many other New Orleans artistsí recordings including Fats Domino. If I remember correctly, he also played piano on some early Little Richard sides.

Good haul! Where is this place anyway?
I'm still looking for the Christmas Gumbo Cd by Fats Domino so I can throw out my mp3 version.

http://www.prex.com/
RadioJonD (11-07-2008)
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Sorry, but I have to share again... I've been stopping in here and there basically going through the same CDs, but when I went today it seems as if they upped the stock... here's what I found...

Christmas With The Chipmunks (4.99) - This is the version that contains all the tracks from the old albums that are missing from some other CD releases, even the new 2008 one.
Doris Day - Personal Christmas Collection (2.99)
The Four Seasons Christmas Album (3.99)
The Four Tops - Christmas Here With You (1.99)
Whitney Houston - One Wish (4.99)
Burl Ives - Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1.99)
James Last - Christmas Dancing (1.99) - I almost missed this one... glad I went back through the boxes. This one is kinda expensive on Amazon.
Olivia Newton John - Christmas Wish (1.99) - GRRRR!!! I just spent $14 buying this off Amazon!
Mitch Miller And The Gang - Christmas Sing Along With Mitch (1.99)
Jim Nabors - A Personal Christmas Collection (1.99) - Another one that is kinda pricey on Amazon.
Osmond Family Christmas (1.00)
A Sesame Street Christmas (2.99)
Elmo Saves Christmas (2.99)
Carly Simon - Christmas Is Almost Here (2.99)
Jimmy Smith - Christmas Cookin' - (1.99) - Another steal given it's price tag on Amazon ($21 - $83)
Dionne Warwick - My Favorite Time Of Year (4.99) - I hear a song on the Sounds of the Season channel last night and thought 'This would be a nice one to have'.
Jackie Wilson - Merry Christmas From Jackie Wilson (4.99)
A Very Special Christmas Live & Volume 5 (2.99 ea) The last two I needed to complete the series.

I easily could have bought another 10 or more CDs... maybe next time.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

No, but be sure to come back and rub it in again about what you find, Mr. Walker!

If you find Rhino's "Hillbilly Holiday" and/or Capitol Records' "Cowboy Christmas-Christmas On The Range" pick them up by all means! They will probably be expensive though!
1 down... 1 to go!

Check your PM's!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

10/21/08

Air Supply - The Christmas Album (1.00)
Blackmore's Night - Christmas Eve (1.99)
Michael Bolton - A Swingin Christmas (1.00)
The Brothers Four - Merry Christmas (1.99) - WHOA! Between $66 & $120 on Amazon.
James Brown's Funky Christmas (1.99)
Michael Buble - Let It Snow (1.00)
Johnny Cash - Personal Christmas Collection (3.99)
Petula Clark - Merry Christmas Joyeux Noel (2.99) - OMG!!! This one is going for between $100-$250 on Amazon... I can't believe it!
Roy Clark - Let It Snow (1.99) - A nice compliment to my Buck Owens Christmas CDs... although Buck's are 1000x better than this
Richard Clayderman - A Romantic Christmas (1.00)
Shawn Colvin - Holiday Songs & Lullabies (2.99)
Bobby Darin - The 25th Day Of December (4.99)
Jimmy Dean - Jimmy Dean's Christmas Card (1.99)
John Denver - Rocky Mountain Christmas (2.99)
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock (1.00)
Anne Murray - Christmas Wishes (1.99) - Not a big fan, but it has my favorite version of Silver Bells
Leon Redbone - Christmas Island (2.99)
The Singers Unlimited - Christmas (1.99) - This was a real goofy looking German Group for the 70s... I couldn't resist.
The Ventures - Christmas Album (4.99)
Fred Waring & The Pennsylvanians - Now Is The Caroling Season (1.99)
Various - Merry Axemas A Guitar Christmas Vols 1&2 (1.99 ea)
Various - Shimmy Down The Chimney (1.99) - RJD posted about this one yesterday.

Plus I got a Bobby Sherman Christmas CD for a buck... one of the girls I work with is making a copy for herself and I don't remember the name of it. Plus I grabbed another Christmas compilation for a pal
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Oops... forgot these...

Jon Secada - A Christmas Fiesta (1.99)
Various Artists - Christmas Classics From The War Years (2.99)
The Lettermen - For Christmas This Year (1.99) - Going for $94 - $200 on Amazon.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
1 down... 1 to go!

Check your PM's!
You gotta be kiddin'!!!!!