Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » Favorite Christmas film scores?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,228
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,420)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Merry Fourms Member

thx202799 has shown a merry disposition
santahat Favorite Christmas film scores?

Being a big fan of film music and Christmas, it follows that I have a particular interest in original scores for Christmas-themed films.

Some of my favorites are:
- Home Alone/Home Alone 2 (John Williams)
- Miracle on 34th Street (Bruce Broughton)
- Eloise at Christmastime (Bruce Broughton)
- The Polar Express (Alan Silvestri)
- It's a Wonderful Life (Dimitri Tiomkin)
- Blizzard (Mark McKenzie)
- Ernest Saves Christmas (Mark Snow)

I didn't include musicals but Leslie Bricusse's Scrooge would be my favorite on that front!

And yours?

Doug

Old 12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,095 Times in 2,453 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Doug -- what do you think of the music from A Muppet's Christmas Carol? I am particularly fond of that film and music is one reason why. Michael Caine and others in the film are NOT singers but songs like "Bless Us All" are very inspired, I think.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
My favorite would have to be "The Polar Express"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Merry Fourms Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Doug -- what do you think of the music from A Muppet's Christmas Carol? I am particularly fond of that film and music is one reason why. Michael Caine and others in the film are NOT singers but songs like "Bless Us All" are very inspired, I think.
Agreed on all counts! A great musical. "It Feels Like Christmas" and "Thankful Heart" are wonderful songs.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Merry Fourms Member

Originally Posted by Ms_Speedy_Elf View Post
My favorite would have to be "The Polar Express"
If you haven't already, seek out the Oscar promo for The Polar Express, which includes a significant amount of unreleased score compared to the commercial release.

Doug
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,187 Times in 6,088 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
How about the background score to the Alastair Sim "A Christmas Carol"? Beautiful music, and "themes" for the various characters. Part of what makes this film a classic. I was lucky enough to find a CD that includes a suite of themes from the film.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I'm with your Jeff. I know most of them word for word!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Merry Fourms Member

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
How about the background score to the Alastair Sim "A Christmas Carol"? Beautiful music, and "themes" for the various characters. Part of what makes this film a classic. I was lucky enough to find a CD that includes a suite of themes from the film.
Oh yes! One I missed, though a 14+ minute re-recorded suite from the film is featured on the same Telarc CD as It's a Wonderful Life; I presume this is the CD you were referring to above(?). The CD also features music from Cyril J. Mockridge's Miracle on 34th Street, another winner I failed to mention.

Doug
Old 12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,187 Times in 6,088 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by thx202799 View Post
Oh yes! One I missed, though a 14+ minute re-recorded suite from the film is featured on the same Telarc CD as It's a Wonderful Life; I presume this is the CD you were referring to above(?). The CD also features music from Cyril J. Mockridge's Miracle on 34th Street, another winner I failed to mention.

Doug
Yep, Doug, that's the CD!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Superfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elf
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I have that score on a CD with music from Its a Wonderful Life and I think Miracle on 34th street. The 1951 (A. Simm) Christmas Carol is the best though!