Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,130
Threads: 54,236
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,523)
Welcome to our newest member, hewlieje

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Sears Layaway

I know it's a little late for a warning on this but, I just found this out today! When I placed my layaway at Sears back in Nov. they told me that I couldn't make a payment using a debit or credit card. They said it's cash or check only but, if I wanted to use a card I could buy a gift card and do it that way. That made no sense to me at all since I'm buying the card with my debit card what's the difference? Anyway, I had no choice but, to get the gift card. Well today I went to get my layaway out and immediately had to return 3 items as they were duplicates, yes already I had duplicates! So, I go to return them and they wanted to give me store credit. I asked why and they said because they can only refund in the way it was paid for. Well, since I was forced to use a gift card that I had to purchase with my debit card that was the form of payment that they used. The went with my first payment made on the layaway with the gift card as my form of payment for the entire purchase. I was so mad and asked to see the manager. She wasn't very happy to help me but, I told her how idiotic this was and that I did not layaway a gift card and that if it weren't for their dumb policy of not letting people use their cards to pay for the layaway then my form of payment wouldn't have been a gift card! I told her I wanted cash back. After about a half hour of standing at the counter she finally came back upstairs with my money. She just walked up to me, said "Here...5,10,15..." She counted out my money and left it on the counter and walked away. I was so mad. I'm glad I got my cash back but, her attitude really ticked me off. I think I feel a letter to the corporate office coming just around the corner. I know it's too late to warn anyone who is about to make a layaway but, I needed to get this off my chest! Thanks for listening.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story

Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself

HolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnogHolidayHoney will NOT spit in your eggnog
Write that letter, girl. Management should know better than to treat a customer in such a manner...theres no excuse for it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 81,111 Times in 13,434 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star write that letter!

A well worded letter is definitely needed here. Let us know how it comes out for you.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,148 Times in 707 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
I so would not take that! I would write a polite but scathing letter to corporate. There was no need for her attitude.

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Ms_Speedy_Elf has disabled reputation
With the way the economy is it looks like Sears and any store would be bending over backwards to help/please the costumer's .

I too would write the letter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 24,896 Times in 4,081 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ms_Speedy_Elf View Post
With the way the economy is it looks like Sears and any store would be bending over backwards to help/please the costumer's .

I too would write the letter.
I was thinking the same thing! That is crazy!!!!

This is on a different topic (don't mean to change the subject) but did you know that if you buys something from Joann Fabric online, you can't return it to the store? I had bought a scrapbook tote online from Joann. I hadn't rec'd the tote in the mail yet, but we went shopping & I found, at the Joann store: the tote that I had ordered & another tote that I liked better, for the same price! So I bought the other tote, thinking when the one I ordered came, I would just return it! When I went to return it, I explained to her that I had bought a different tote FROM JOANN'S & there were others of this same tote I wanted to return in this store, but they wouldn't take it back ~ said I had to mail it back!! What a crock!!!! I emailed them, but never did hear back from them. My sister in law ended up buying the tote I was going to return for a gift for me niece, so it all worked out, but still...

Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
That is just crazy (both of YOU).. in today's economy you would think that companies would be glad that you are buying from them. Write that letter in strong words and don't take their form letters either. Most places know that one bad word from ONE customer is like ruining a business. It takes 10 new customers to make up for that one. We don't shop at certain stores bcause of this attitude and at the holidays even more so. Don't think that just because you work retail that you are doing me a favor, do your job, be professional and courteous and things would go by so much easier. Thanks for letting us know....
Old 12-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Thank you everyone for your support. I plan on writing a letter and possibly making a phone call. I was thinking the same thing about the economy. That's the whole reason that they started the layaway again was to help people out during the holidays. Now I see it was a sneaky trick to keep money in the company so that people couldn't buy stuff and then return it and cause them to lose that money that they made over the holidays. I understand the need to keep money in the business but, nobody said anything about form of payment or how refunds would work at the time of layaway. What I don't get is that K-Mart and Sears are both together now so why is it that you can use a debit card or credit card to pay for your layaway at K-Mart but, not at Sears? Also, why is it that I can use my debit or credit card to purchase a gift card to be used for the layaway but, not for the layaway payment itself? It's the same thing! Frustrating! I'll let you know if I ever get a response to my letter or call. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Santa's Mentor

Thanked 1,673 Times in 940 Posts
Annette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companionAnnette1990 is a safe caroling companion
What a hassle. I can relate to this. I was at JCPenney's and they overcharged me almost 30 dollars. I went back and the lady refused to give me cash back (I used a Debit card) she had me slide my card and credit my refund to the bank. I was also ticked about this. It was her mistake therefore she should have given me the cash back like I requested. Some people are so rude!
Old 12-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Something like that happened to my husband and me at Roomful Express. We went to buy a couch which was only $400. We were putting $50 down and then we would pay it off when we came to pick it up. But, the guy rang us up for the entire amount. When I went to the main desk they are the ones who actually take the payment, they swiped my card and charged me the full amount. I looked at it and told her that it wasn't right and that I was only to put down $50. Then they tried to refund it and it wouldn't go through because it was a holiday weekend! Plus they had put a hold on my acct. in the same amount as the sofa so I ended up having almost $900 come out of my acct. with the taxes! I was so mad. I called my bank's 800 # and they couldn't do anything because there weren't any banks actually open and Monday was a holiday so I wouldn't be able to get anything done until Tues. I talked to the stores manager and she apologized and called my bank's 800# to try to get the hold removed. I basically had to sit the entire weekend with no money and my acct. frozen because of this. I was supposed to pick up the couch because it was about $60 for delivery but, because of all the trouble they gave me the sofa for $300 and free delivery. My money was refunded on Tues. I was so mad about that. Atleast she was nice though realizing that it was her employee's fault. I hate it when they act like you are being unreasonable by wanting your money back for something that they screwed up!