Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Decorations » Non-Edible Cookie Cutter Tree Ornaments....Recipe Needed, Pl

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Decorations Christmas is a hands-on art. From the lights we put on the house to the decorations we put on the tree to the great foods we eat in the process, Christmas is a time of doing -- and this is the place we gather to talk, plan and share.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,836
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasFanatic has shown a merry disposition
Non-Edible Cookie Cutter Tree Ornaments....Recipe Needed, Pl

When I was very young, Mom mixed up a batch of 'dough', which was non-edible and she rollde it out and we used cookie cutters to cut out the ornaments. She baked the 'cookies' and we painted/decorated them and then she put a varnish or some sort of sealer over the cookies and we had these for several years. We've wanted to recreate some of these ornaments, but any recipe I find online, Mom says is close, but not quite it. Would anyone have any suggestions or recipes that I might run past Mom and see if we've finally stumbled on the exact recipe? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Ervserver

1 cup ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons white glue
3/4 to 1 cup water

Mix cinnamon and glue. Gradually add the water. Stir until a ball of dough forms. Roll out with rolling pin 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. Poke a hole and let dry at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, turning over every 6-8 hours. If desired, decorate with white Royal Icing. Hang with ribbon and enjoy the fragrance!

or

4 cups cinnamon
3 cups applesauce
1/2 cup white school glue
In a large bowl, combine ingredients and mix dough. Initially, it will be dry and crumbly. Knead until smooth.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Mistletoeologist

Christy Carol has shown a merry dispositionChristy Carol has shown a merry disposition
This is what we always used:

Salt Dough

Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1-1/2 cups hot water (from tap)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)

Mix the salt and flour together, then gradually add the water until the dough becomes elastic. (Some recipes call for 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil at this point.) If your mixture turns out too sticky, simply add more flour. If it turns out too crumbly, simply add more water. Knead the dough until itís a good consistency

If you want colored dough, mix food coloring, powdered drink mix, or paint into the water before adding it to the dry ingredients. Or you can paint your creations after baking them at 200 degrees. Baking times will vary depending on the size and thickness of the object, but make sure that all of it is hard. If the dough starts to darken before cooking is complete, cover with aluminum foil. Painted keepsakes will need to be sealed on all sides with clear varnish or polyurethane spray.

You can store your salt dough in a sealed container in the refrigerator, but usually not more than a couple of days.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
1. Go to this website: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Mer...itemid=5184242
2. Buy them
Old 10-25-2006, 05:05 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasFanatic has shown a merry disposition
Thanks very much for the recipes, Ervserver and Christy Carol and for the link, sheepsnot. I'll pass the recipes by Mom and if she decides to completely forget the actual making of the ornaments, we'll use the buy it now, option!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Ervserver

$29.99 for 12 hmmmm