Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Christmas comes early in UK

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,438
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Using Outdoor...
By JeanetteDi
09-18-2011 03:26 PM
Last post by Christmas-man
11-23-2011 07:45 AM
92,368 Views  1 Posts
Dear Santa: I Want, I...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:38 PM
39,286 Views  0 Posts
Anna Claus
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:15 PM
76,250 Views  0 Posts
Questions from a First...
By MMc Editor
06-11-2002 05:00 PM
59,964 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Ways to Avoid...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:04 PM
43,771 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

ryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elf
Christmas comes early in UK

Its not even September yet but in one town here in the UK the christmas lights have gone up. See below for the article-oh how its now getting near.

The magic of Christmas has arrived in Rochdale, with more than four months to go until December 25.
Related photos / videos

Rochdale's Christmas illuminations... in August Play video

Related content

Despite the summer heat, festive lights have been appearing on lampposts in the Lancashire town.
The decorations include a giant Noel sign and a Santa Claus.
The council says they have gone up early to celebrate festivals for other faiths including the Hindu festival of Diwali in October.
Local officials say putting them up early will also save Ģ10,000 of taxpayers' money.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryansrs1 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (08-22-2009), Head Elf (08-23-2009), luckymumofthree (08-22-2009), reindeerelf (08-22-2009)
Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

luckymumofthree has shown a merry disposition
Well if it will save money, then why not eh!.
Plus it celebrating other faiths to.

It is months before the lights are back down though eh, i am sure last year here, it was well into February before they were down lol!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,241 Times in 26,538 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
That is so cool. I wish our town would put stuff up this early.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,197 Times in 12,632 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

Originally Posted by ryansrs1 View Post
Its not even September yet but in one town here in the UK the christmas lights have gone up. See below for the article-oh how its now getting near.

Despite the summer heat, festive lights have been appearing on lampposts in the Lancashire town.
The decorations include a giant Noel sign and a Santa Claus.
The council says they have gone up early to celebrate festivals for other faiths including the Hindu festival of Diwali in October.
Local officials say putting them up early will also save Ģ10,000 of taxpayers' money.
Interesting reason for putting it up early. I can understand the saving money part, but the including all religions thing? These other groups do not have Santa or Christmas trees as part of their celebrations. I wonder if the town will also insist on a time of fasting (Ramada) or make sure fireworks light up the sky for Diwali festival. They want to include all religions, so does anyone know if they also put up a nativity scene?
Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but so much lip service to being all inclusive is made, it would be nice to see it actually happen.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,197 Times in 12,632 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star that said

it really is cool to see decorations going up. Do they already light them up at night as well?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Father Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoeFather Christmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
whoa! Bit strange trying to capture other religeons festivals with Christmasd stuff tho.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
In the town where I used to live and the neighboring areas they used to put the town lights up in Nov. and they stayed up until the end of Jan. But, over the years they've gotten lazy so they now leave them up all year long! They don't light them until Thanksgiving though but, it will be 90 degrees in July and you can drive through the town, look up and see a Rudolph light looking down at you on a pole!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

ryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elfryansrs1 is a good elf
Personaly i think the decs,lights and spirit of christmas should be for exactly that-CHRISTMAS!!

Not wanting to cause any offence to anyone but other religions have there own celebrations and here in the UK in some schools in certain parts of the country some local councils have or did scrap the nativity play as far as the religious part goes with the birth of jesus and mary/joseph etc, just incase it offended other religions/cultures. WRONG AND OUT OF ORDER it think in our own country, no way would i expect to goto another country and expect them to CHANGE there festivities/religious ceremonies to suit me an others. If others do not want to take part then they dont have to-no being forced but if it happens in my boys school when hes old enough to go then i will NOT stand for this.

As a father (and my own childhood memories) the school christmas nativity/play is a treasure moment and have fond memories of when i was a child, and i will do all i can to see my child partake in a tradition here that has happened for years.

As i say, no offence but thats my personal view.

J
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryansrs1 For This Useful Post:
digbugsgirl (08-24-2009), Head Elf (08-23-2009)
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Christmaschick has shown a merry dispositionChristmaschick has shown a merry disposition
I think it's great to have the lights up early. I don't think they should be up all year. I do wonder how it is to celebrate other faiths though. I know Muslims do not have Santa etc.

I guess it's the thought that counts.

And yes, I do miss the Nativity plays in schools now.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
I know that it could save some money by putting them up early, but weather damage is a factor also. I know that I have to replace the lights on my fence because they are up year round.... sun, rain, freezing temps and such... but I use my lights so people can find my driveway even way out in the desert.