Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Retro » Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,405)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Magic of Santa
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:12 PM
55,792 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Guide to Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-08-2012 11:50 AM
Last post by jimmydbrown
12-27-2012 04:59 AM
82,719 Views  4 Posts
Gift 2 Chestnuts
By Christmasstar
09-09-2013 07:30 AM
Last post by Meceka
09-18-2013 08:33 PM
10,591 Views  1 Posts
Dear Santa: Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:35 PM
48,067 Views  0 Posts
The Holly and the Ivy
By MMC Editor
06-08-2008 09:25 PM
67,415 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,555 Times in 3,707 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

For those of us just a bit more "ripened", here's a thread NOT dedicated to childhood/adolescence in the 80's (we do exist, you know)... if you spent your childhood or teenage years in either of these fine decades, let's talk it up..!

I grew up in the 60's and spent most of my teenage years in the early 70's (class of '75)... here are a few of the things I remember firsthand:

Sitting in class in First Grade when out teacher came in and told us President Kennedy had been shot. I was a little too young to understand it all, but I knew all the adults were sad and I suddenly had three days off school... but there was nothing on TV but one parade that had only one horse drawn cart and no balloons or floats.

The James Bond/Man From U.N.C.L.E. craze

Batmania in the summer of '66

Seeing Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (62), Rudolph (64), Frosty (69), A Charlie Brown Christmas (64) and The Grinch (66) when they premiered for the first time

Watching The Elvis Comeback Special in 1968

Watching the first moon landing at Summer Camp in 1969

Being afraid of race riots in 1968 when Martin Luther King was shot (thankfully, those didn't happen... apparently lots of people actually listened to what the man said)

So, all you pre-1980's Boomers... what do you remember..?
caninemom3 (07-12-2010), Christmasstar (07-16-2011)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I don't remember JFK being shot, I was only 2. I do remember RFK being shot and George Wallace being shot. I remember Nixon leaving, and Ford coming in. That following election, my dad was one of the few that voted for Ford. I remember the "final" POWs coming home from Vietnam. I remember when we got our first color tv, it was a RCA XL 100, state of the art man! I remember Bob Barker's show before The Price is Right, it was Truth or Consequences, don't really remember what they did on that show though.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,189 Times in 9,013 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I remember an afternoon show getting interrupted on August 16, 1977 with the news that Elvis Presley died. I was 10 years old.

I live very close to the scene where Kennedy was killed. Anytime you pass that area you still see people standing in that very spot he was shot and pointing to the 6th floor window as if they are still trying to solve it. Most my life I never gave it much thought when I passed by there but now I look and it's amazing what goes on there and how busy it is with tourist.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,059 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
Well when the 1960's started I have a few more years before I was a teen.

But I remember finally getting cable tv in our home in the mid 1960's. I was so excited.

I remember going to the movies on Saturday afternoon to see an Elvis movie.

I remember Saturday morning tv line up. We had great things to watch on Saturday morning. And every network devoted Saturday morning to children programming.

I remember our first color tv and there were only two regular programs in color, "The Wonderful World of Disney" and "Bonanza". Of course some specials were in color and some movies.

I remember evening tv programming was family. No fowl langage. Also, I remember the great variety shows that are no longer on tv.

I remember where I was when we heard the news Kennedy was shot. I remember the next few days with nothing on tv but Kennedy events and how the entire nation was in mourning. I was so sad thinking about his kids and his wife.

I remember when Bobby Kennedy was shot. I remember the D.C. riots.

And I remember ending the 1960's with the men landing on the moon.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:51 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,206 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
From a radio perspective;

My teenage years are solidly in the Seventies, my childhood and preteens in the Sixties. I’m reminded again why “Radio” is a part of my screen name here and several other places.

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/forum/blog.php?b=140
caninemom3 (07-12-2010)
Old 09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by joyful View Post

I remember Saturday morning tv line up. We had great things to watch on Saturday morning. And every network devoted Saturday morning to children programming.
Oh ya, I remember from the 70's, Saturday morning cartoons! Then when my kids came around, late 80's early 90's, they wanted to do something on a Saturday morning and I suggested to watch, Saturday morning cartoons. They said, "What is Saturday morning cartoons"???? I died laughing but they were serious. I forgot but we have cable and they are able to watch cartoons 24/7 and when I was a kid, Saturday was the only day that had cartoons on for 5 or 6 hours straight! The rest of the week only a couple of hours a day of cartoons.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
I

I was a kid in the 70s and love them as well..not as much as the 80s mind you - but do love them!
I remember a good bit from the entertainment world and being so excited to get my star wars figures - etc. Was really into a wide range of tunes too...from disco to rock and all in between. From Bread and the Carpenters to Zeppelin and Sabbath......
I also remember vividly when Elvis passed away ( I was living in Memphis at the time too - so you can imagine).

I am really enjoying this thread!
Keep the groovy posts rolling!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I remember some of my favorite shows, like The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, M*A*S*H, The Carol Burnett Show. I love the music from the 60s and 70s, like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, Black Sabbath, Moody Blues, Emerson Lake and Palmer. But I was one that wanted disco to die, I hated it with a passion.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (07-12-2010)
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,555 Times in 3,707 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
And don't forget... Sesame Street started in 1969 and prior to that, Captain Kangaroo was THE MAN! Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Greenjeans, Dancing Bear, Grandfather Clock and the great Tom Terrific and Lariat Sam cartoons..!

Other "classics" that came out of the 60's:

Space Ghost
Scooby Doo
The Herculoids

Kid's programming ruled!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
And don't forget... Sesame Street started in 1969 and prior to that, Captain Kangaroo was THE MAN! Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Greenjeans, Dancing Bear, Grandfather Clock and the great Tom Terrific and Lariat Sam cartoons..!

Other "classics" that came out of the 60's:

Space Ghost
Scooby Doo
The Herculoids

Kid's programming ruled!
How could I forget Sesame Street?!?! That was my very favorite show when I was a kid. I still miss Mr. Hooper!