Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Retro » Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
Captain Kangaroo was THE MAN! Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Greenjeans, Dancing Bear, Grandfather Clock and the great Tom Terrific and Lariat Sam cartoons..!
Get it while it’s still available! - http://childrensrecordsandmore.blogs...rry-merry.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptainKangarooMerryChristmasGoldenLPFront.JPG (30.1 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Location: Mersea Island, UK - Moving to Vancouver, Canada 2012
singingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elfsingingringingtree is a good elf
Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I remember an afternoon show getting interrupted on August 16, 1977 with the news that Elvis Presley died. I was 10 years old.
I was in bed at night listening to the pirate radio station Radio Luxemburg under the covers when the news came through. I remember the DJ crying and they played Elvis records all night.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
"For all that's worthwhile, your radio dial is on Radio Luxembourg."

<I grew up with a shortwave radio connected to a long wire antenna stretched across the length of the house! Still have that shortwave radio (plus two more) and the antenna is still up.>

Last edited by RadioJonD; 09-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSabine would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I was born at the end of the 60&#180;s...
Remember the Sesame Street, with "Big Bird" and "Little Bird"..
We just had 3 TV Stations.
We have had 2 German Countries.
And still think about Jimmy Carter when I eat Peanuts.
Germany had be big Terror Time when the RAF kidnapped and killed some Men.. And I remember when my Parents told me that my Grandfather was an US Soldier..
I remember when in our Apartment they changed from Coal-Oven to Central Heater
trackrebel (07-17-2011)
Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,001 Times in 9,436 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
I was born at the end of the 60īs...
Remember the Sesame Street, with "Big Bird" and "Little Bird"..
We just had 3 TV Stations.
We have had 2 German Countries.
And still think about Jimmy Carter when I eat Peanuts.
Germany had be big Terror Time when the RAF kidnapped and killed some Men.. And I remember when my Parents told me that my Grandfather was an US Soldier..
I remember when in our Apartment they changed from Coal-Oven to Central Heater
Oh ya, I remember having limited tv stations in the 70's. I think we only had 7 and television stations use to actually sign off at midnight! The national anthem would play before it did. Only on Saturday nights, one tv station would play movies all night.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,781 Times in 1,184 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Remember having to actually have to go to the theatre to see a movie. And if you didn't it, was like a 2 or 4 year wait before it would be shown on TV. No VCRs or DVD players.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,001 Times in 9,436 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Snow-in-Texas View Post
Remember having to actually have to go to the theatre to see a movie. And if you didn't it, was like a 2 or 4 year wait before it would be shown on TV. No VCRs or DVD players.
This was the biggest drag of not having a VCR or DVD players in those days. We were only able to see, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and more only ONCE A YEAR! My kids freaked out when I told them that. They would ask, "you had no way at all to watch those shows more than once"? Oh no, we had to make sure we were in front of the tv on time to watch it and you didn't get another chance.

That is probably why, as an adult, I play them so much and watch them over and over. We didn't have that privilege when we were kids.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,859 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
When my daughter was young, I was telling her one of those "in my day..." stories about not having VCR's in the 60's and 70's and her eyes got wide and she asked "then, what did you watch your tapes on..?"

Ah, youth..!
Christmas-A-Holic (09-05-2009), ScottCalvin (09-08-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

ScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elfScottCalvin is a good elf
When my daughter was young, I was telling her one of those "in my day..." stories about not having VCR's in the 60's and 70's and her eyes got wide and she asked "then, what did you watch your tapes on..?"

Ah, youth..!

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,301 Times in 13,285 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For those of us just a bit more "ripened", here's a thread NOT dedicated to childhood/adolescence in the 80's (we do exist, you know)... if you spent your childhood or teenage years in either of these fine decades, let's talk it up..!

I grew up in the 60's and spent most of my teenage years in the early 70's (class of '75)... here are a few of the things I remember firsthand:

Sitting in class in First Grade when out teacher came in and told us President Kennedy had been shot. I was a little too young to understand it all, but I knew all the adults were sad and I suddenly had three days off school... but there was nothing on TV but one parade that had only one horse drawn cart and no balloons or floats.

The James Bond/Man From U.N.C.L.E. craze

Batmania in the summer of '66

Seeing Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol (62), Rudolph (64), Frosty (69), A Charlie Brown Christmas (64) and The Grinch (66) when they premiered for the first time

Watching The Elvis Comeback Special in 1968

Watching the first moon landing at Summer Camp in 1969

Being afraid of race riots in 1968 when Martin Luther King was shot (thankfully, those didn't happen... apparently lots of people actually listened to what the man said)

So, all you pre-1980's Boomers... what do you remember..?
Ok, this is just like, well everything I remember....scary thing is, I am also from the class of 75'.