Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food > Recipes » Help with baking a christmas cake

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,837
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

ohchristmastree has shown a merry dispositionohchristmastree has shown a merry disposition
Help with baking a christmas cake

Hi everyone,

Every year we never have a Christmas cake as we all don't like fruit cake so this year I am planning to bake a Christmas sponge cake. The plan it to have it in a tiered cake fashion (2, maybe 3 tiers) to look a bit like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/...1690d6e31b.jpg With the red bows on the cake in the link I would have the red bit going around but not the bow on the front if you know what I mean. I want to have holly, snowflakes and Christmas parcels on it made out of icing.

I was just wondering if any one has any tips on how to build a cake like this and any really good sponge recipe (I have loads and can make a good sponge cake but I just want to try something different and am open to new recipes.

Thanks

Harry
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
That sounds really yummy and like a good idea..but I dont have any recipes.. Im sorry! If you find one, you should post it so we can all try
Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 PM

ohchristmastree has shown a merry dispositionohchristmastree has shown a merry disposition
This is the one I usually use. Just a basic but it turns out fine pretty much every time

Ingredients
100g butter
100g caster sugar
100g self raising flour
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
2 medium eggs

Method 1. Preheat oven to Gas mark 190C.

2. Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy.

3. Beat the eggs in basin or cup and add to the mixture a little at the time, with the flour keeping the same smooth and creamy consistency.

4. Making sure the mixtures does not get too wet or dry as you go when you have used all the flour and the eggs.

5. Add the vanilla essence and a pinch of salt, mix for a few minutes.

6. Divide into two lined, or non-stick sponge tins, put into a moderately hot oven, middle shelf.

7. Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (it is important that the oven is well heated).

8. Put to cool on a rack to cool.

Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to ohchristmastree For This Useful Post:
belljoy (08-11-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ohchristmastree View Post
Hi everyone,

Every year we never have a Christmas cake as we all don't like fruit cake so this year I am planning to bake a Christmas sponge cake. The plan it to have it in a tiered cake fashion (2, maybe 3 tiers) to look a bit like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/...1690d6e31b.jpg With the red bows on the cake in the link I would have the red bit going around but not the bow on the front if you know what I mean. I want to have holly, snowflakes and Christmas parcels on it made out of icing.

I was just wondering if any one has any tips on how to build a cake like this and any really good sponge recipe (I have loads and can make a good sponge cake but I just want to try something different and am open to new recipes.

Thanks

Harry
Anyone? I really do need some help with a fondant cake, its my first!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Webmaster Partner, Why Christmas?

Last Achievements

whychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoewhychristmas would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Wow that looks fab! I guess I'd stack it all before I iced. You could also try bbq kebab sticks to pin it all vertically together (like vertical supports). You'd prob need a fairly 'firm' sponge as well!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,913 Times in 9,427 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I wonder if Christmasstar could help you. She is into cake decorating and quite good at it by the pics I see posted. She might have some fantastic tips for you! We will find out when she sees this post.

Whychristmas has some good tips too!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Merry Fourms Member

ben_lines has shown a merry disposition
I recommend baking a madeira sponge cake rather than a victorian sponge. This takes longer to cook but is much firmer and easier to work with.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,161 Times in 28,862 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
As far as structure goes I would make sure to put the cakes on cardboard cake bases. I would then put six wooden dowels through the bottom cake to hold up the middle cake and then four through the middle cake to hold up the top one. As far as the fondant goes I am not the person to give advice. I have tried working with it a couple times but with no good outcomes. I just use buttercream anymore.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,259 Times in 13,280 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

Originally Posted by ohchristmastree View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Harry
Just now wandered over here and read this.

Look here for tips that explain it really well and is faster than I could type it all out: http://www.wilton.com/decorating/decorating-basics/

I cut my cakes into several thin layers..eg. Instead of 2 I will cut each of those 2 in half as well making a 4 layers. Handle carefully as they tear easier when moved. You can then put filling of choice between each giving the cake a lot more flavour.

Each tier needs to be reinforced with a support system so your cake does not fall over. Go here to find out how to do that:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-c...nstruction.cfm

Look on that site for all kinds of ideas and helpful hints.

Good luck and I hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,259 Times in 13,280 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

Just now noticed that post is from 2008! Oh well, maybe you can make one again for this year!