Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Auburn University Will Light a Christmas Tree This Year

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,459
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Sam's First Christmas
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:23 PM
48,442 Views  0 Posts
Christmas During the...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:32 PM
Last post by Isabella Euwins
08-03-2011 09:03 AM
63,114 Views  1 Posts
A Miraculous Movie
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:02 PM
53,927 Views  0 Posts
Bells All About Stuffing
By MMC Editor
11-19-2011 10:49 PM
42,066 Views  0 Posts
Elf (Movie Review)
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:23 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
11-18-2013 07:29 AM
61,341 Views  3 Posts

Old 11-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

MarthaK has shown a merry dispositionMarthaK has shown a merry disposition
Auburn University Will Light a Christmas Tree This Year

Liberty Counsel
NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 3, 2006

Persistence Pays Off - Auburn University Will Light a Christmas Tree This Year

Auburn, AL - After two open forums held over an eleven-month period, Auburn's Student Government Association (SGA) announced that the former "Holiday" tree lighting event will now be called "Holiday Celebration featuring the Lighting of the Christmas Tree."

The event had been called the Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony since its inception in 2000. The former president of College Republicans, Laura Steele, started a petition to rename the event shortly before last year's tree lighting ceremony. Liberty Counsel worked closely with Ms. Steele to support the effort she spearheaded. According to the Associated Press, over 20,000 e-mails were received over the issue. Thanks to the efforts and persistence of Laura Steele and other student leaders, the stir caused the SGA to review the event, as well as the entire program. "I am so happy that the SGA has decided to call the tree what it is, a Christmas Tree," said Laura. "They have the support and thanks of the thousands of students, alumni and fans that joined the effort to bring the name Christmas back to this wonderful University. We are all very happy to have this resolved and thrilled that we can continue to positively promote Christmas and the real meaning of the season this year at Auburn."

Wes Bonds, spokesman for the celebration committee, said the SGA wanted to make sure the tree was called a Christmas tree. "We wanted to find a name that included everything going on," Bonds said. George Stegall, president of SGA, said he believes the new name is more accurate. "There's no holiday tree. Something had to be done about calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree," he said. "I think it will definitely be well received by Auburn University and the Auburn community," he said. The new celebration will include the lighting of the Christmas tree, as well as the lighting of a peace candle and possibly the lighting of a menorah.

Mathew Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel, commented: "There has been a disturbing trend toward censorship of Christmas celebrations, but people all across America are fighting back to help save Christmas. Everyone knows that a green, pointed, prickly tree we decorate in December is a Christmas tree. Renaming a Christmas tree to a "Holiday tree" is hypocritical political correctness run amok. Christmas IS constitutional. The Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign is stirring millions of Americans to help save Christmas and to preserve our religious freedom before it is lost forever."

Liberty Counsel, a nationwide, public interest civil liberties law firm, launched its fourth annual Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign and is experiencing another active season defending attacks on Christmas celebrations. On its web site, www.LC.org, Liberty Counsel offers a Help Save Christmas™ action pack, which includes educational legal memoranda to educate government officials, teachers, parents, students, private businesses, employees and others that it is legal to celebrate Christmas. The action pack also includes a very popular "I LOVE CHRISTmas™" button, bumper stickers and other items to promote Christmas.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 AM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Ah, the SGA! I remember it well. I became president against my will because the old president just up and quit, the louse! I was content as his VP but it wasn't meant to be. People coming to you for any and every reason. "I have two finals at the same time!" "I want a white Christmas!" I'm glad the decision was made fairly, though I'm certain that those who lost out don't agree.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Ervserver

I wonder if people who are involved in the political and legal aspects of Christmas are able to enjoy the season or do they " take the job home with them"
Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
On the Naughty List

gameshowguy2000 has shown a merry dispositiongameshowguy2000 has shown a merry disposition
Well, at least they are using both Christmas AND Holiday in their title, so that everyone of us can celebrate the lighting of the tree.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Santa Clausologist

caseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elfcaseydbell is a good elf
thank God someone is lighting a Christmas tree instead of a holiday tree
Old 11-07-2006, 02:47 PM
On the Naughty List

sheepsnot is a new face around here!
Doggone it, Cletus, that's not what we meant!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
cletus the slack jawed yokel