Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,847
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Scot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry dispositionScot Meyers has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Lighting tip #3

Ok with 77 days to Christmas and only 48 days till most decoraing outside goes up I wanted to share TIP #3. CORDS!!!

Electrical cords can cost up the WAZOO when you buy those big bulky orange cords 2 10-20.00 each.

Here is a trick USE THE BULKY ORANGE Cords on the Ground. and use SPT-2 Electrical wire every where else.
let me explain.....

I use very little ORANGE CORD. most of my cords are made with SPT-2 cord its the same guage wire and can easily handle mini light amperage without the need of those expensive bulky cords. i use them in the trees and on the roof. You can but 500 ft of spt-2 wire in a spool for aroun 50.00 vs 100 ft of orange cord for the same price.

if you buy 50' spools you can cut your SPT-2 wire to the lengths you need then put what is called a vampie end. These ends come in male and female ends. these ends dig into the isulation of the wire making a contact. and when running leds' and mini lights you can run longer runs without affecting the wire integrity. because the amperage use of a standard mini light is about 1.5 amps per strand. and the led's are lower than that.

I use SPT-2 wire everywhere. the only place i use ORANGE bul cords is when my cord will lay on the ground. However you can protect your SPT-2 wire where there is foot traffic by using PVC pipe.

If you decide to use SPT-2 wire like I do. i would suggest the following....
-no mor than 100 ft length.
-a little slicone on the vampire ends will keep it water proof and avoid shorts.
-use PVC to protect the wire in traffic area where you may need to shovel snow

Now another trick....
if your using those ORANGE Cords and would like it is they were no seen in the display you can take some black spray paint and spray the cord. this will hide the cord in the dark so they are not see while the display is running...

also tie up the end connectors together in a knot. this will keep the cord from coming apart should you trip over it

If you have any questions about my tips email me @ holidaygeek@msn.com in the subject line put mmc christmas tip question.

have fun decorating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Meyers For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (10-09-2009)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,124 Times in 9,459 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for the tip! I will check back on here again before putting out my Christmas lights and display.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
jolly elf (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

jolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elfjolly elf is a good elf
Great tips, thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,424 Times in 28,909 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for the tip!!!!