Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Anxious To See How Everyone Will Handle This?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat A Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-26-2011 10:14 AM
81,736 Views  0 Posts
Emily's Highest Bough
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:47 PM
43,884 Views  0 Posts
"Behind the White Brick"...
By MerryCarey
10-31-2011 11:46 AM
89,357 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Tree The First Christmas in...
By Jeff Westover
10-07-2012 10:49 PM
30,648 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Changing Face of...
By MMC Editor
10-31-2011 08:23 AM
60,109 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

ChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry disposition
Anxious To See How Everyone Will Handle This?

I recently ran across this and had to share it with the MMC community... it rings truer than ever around this time of the year!

One day, when I was a freshman in high school,

I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.

His name was Kyle.

It looked like he was carrying all of his books.

I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?

He must really be a nerd.'

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.

They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.

His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him...

He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.

As I handed him his glasses, I said, 'Those guys are jerks.'

They really should get lives.

' He looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!'

There was a big smile on his face.

It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.

As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before..

He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.

We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.

I asked him if he wanted to play a little football
with my friends

He said yes.

We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.

I stopped him and said, 'Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!

' He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends..

When we were seniors we began to think about college.

Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke.

I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never
be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship..

Kyle was valedictorian of our class.

I teased him all the time about being a nerd.

He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak

Graduation day, I saw Kyle.

He looked great.

He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school...

He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.

He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.

Boy, sometimes I was jealous!

Today was one of those days.

I could see that he was nervous about his speech.

So, I smacked him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy, you'll be great!'

He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.

' Thanks,' he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began

'Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years.

Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends.....

I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them.

I am going to tell you a story.'

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the
first day we met.

He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.

He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.

He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

'Thankfully, I was saved.

My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable..'

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.

Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions..

With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

For better or for worse......

God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way.

Look for God in others.

You now have two choices, you can :

1) Pass this on to your friends or

2) Delete it and act like it

didn't touch your heart.

As you can see, I took choice number 1...

'Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.'

There is no beginning or end.. Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

If it comes back to you, then you'll know you have a circle of friends.

Remember no matter who you pass, friend or foe, a simple smile or gesture could change someone's life FOREVER!
Christmasstar (11-12-2009), judesmama (11-12-2009), kerst (11-12-2009), lauriebear777 (11-12-2009), made582 (11-12-2009), reindeerelf (11-12-2009), Snowfall (11-12-2009), TamaraQT (11-12-2009), TwinkleLights25 (11-12-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Christmasologist

kerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoekerst would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
What a lovely story ! Will definitely forward it !
ChristmasFanatic56 (11-12-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
Thanks FlyingForLife for sharing that story at the MMC forum. Funny thing is, I have this story. Someone gave it to me and I passed it on to my son who was about to start high school, and my sons name is Kyle. Those high school years can be tough and judgemental. I knew my son always had a knack of making friends with EVERYONE. So, when someone gave me this story I printed it and gave it to him to read. I wanted him to know that his friendship could mean the world to someone else and not to take people or friends for granted. We still talk about this story from time to time. He is a Junior now. He has met a couple of people in his years which gave him cause to remember this story. One of the kids still looks at my son today with such admiration. A couple of weeks ago, when taking Kyle to school, I saw this kid walking looking down at the ground. You could tell something was wrong. I asked my son if he knew him. He said "yeah, he sees him around". He asked me to let him off so he could walk with the kid. Well to make a long story short, he was having some problems. My son introduced him to one of the coaches that mentors kids. Last Friday, I saw the kid again as Kyle was getting out of the car. The kids face just lit up at the sight of Kyle. Kyle gave him the usual elbow bump greeting the kids are giving now. I heard Kyle ask "so hows it going?" Well this kid was grinning from ear to ear as if Kyle was some superhero or something. He was all estatic telling Kyle about things. As I drove off, I looked out the mirror, and saw Kyle walking with him into school. Both laughing!! Complete difference than the first time I saw him. Kyle keeps an eye out for him. He never told me what was wrong with the kid, but he did say it was something he couldnt help him with but one of the coaches could. I am so proud of my son. Although he is a big brutish looking football player, he has a heart of gold. He geniuinely cares about others. And sharing that story with him made him more aware of how people can be really hurting inside. Kyle doesnt tease and is really defensive for others being teased. This story I believe made a huge impact for my son. If anything, I ask everyone share this story. You never know how such a good deed or gesture will impact a persons life.

Last edited by TamaraQT; 11-12-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TamaraQT For This Useful Post:
ChristmasFanatic56 (11-12-2009), digbugsgirl (11-12-2009), lauriebear777 (11-12-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,565 Times in 4,407 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks, Flying. I've seen this before, and while I don't know if it's a true story, it really is a fine example of how our actions everyday can hurt or help others.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

ChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasFanatic56 has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by TamaraQT View Post
Thanks FlyingForLife for sharing that story at the MMC forum. Funny thing is, I have this story. Someone gave it to me and I passed it on to my son who was about to start high school, and my sons name is Kyle. Those high school years can be tough and judgemental. I knew my son always had a knack of making friends with EVERYONE. So, when someone gave me this story I printed it and gave it to him to read. I wanted him to know that his friendship could mean the world to someone else and not to take people or friends for granted. We still talk about this story from time to time. He is a Junior now. He has met a couple of people in his years which gave him cause to remember this story. One of the kids still looks at my son today with such admiration. A couple of weeks ago, when taking Kyle to school, I saw this kid walking looking down at the ground. You could tell something was wrong. I asked my son if he knew him. He said "yeah, he sees him around". He asked me to let him off so he could walk with the kid. Well to make a long story short, he was having some problems. My son introduced him to one of the coaches that mentors kids. Last Friday, I saw the kid again as Kyle was getting out of the car. The kids face just lit up at the sight of Kyle. Kyle gave him the usual elbow bump greeting the kids are giving now. I heard Kyle ask "so hows it going?" Well this kid was grinning from ear to ear as if Kyle was some superhero or something. He was all estatic telling Kyle about things. As I drove off, I looked out the mirror, and saw Kyle walking with him into school. Both laughing!! Complete difference than the first time I saw him. Kyle keeps an eye out for him. He never told me what was wrong with the kid, but he did say it was something he couldnt help him with but one of the coaches could. I am so proud of my son. Although he is a big brutish looking football player, he has a heart of gold. He geniuinely cares about others. And sharing that story with him made him more aware of how people can be really hurting inside. Kyle doesnt tease and is really defensive for others being teased. This story I believe made a huge impact for my son. If anything, I ask everyone share this story. You never know how such a good deed or gesture will impact a persons life.
So true, I know from personal experience also.

Most of the ones that need help are the ones when who put up a "Happy front" as I like to call it. The ones that seem the most happy and content with themselves when everyone is around... but the ones who hurt deeply inside and cry themselves to sleep.

In high school I became one of those "out casts" that showed love and support to the others who seemed to need it the most.

I am a very people person now a days and there is no better feeling in the world than doing something for someone else, no matter how bad they need it, no matter how big or small. I strongly believe we were all put here for a reason and alot of people just ignore that these days or have no faith in why they may be here.

The world truly is an amazing place and I am so glad to spend the time that I have doing the things that I have chosen to do!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,280 Times in 784 Posts
brittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companionbrittd19 is a safe caroling companion
That made me cry=[..It was a really touching story.
The Following User Says Thank You to brittd19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Maebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I've seen it before and was worth reading again. YOu never know how you may impact someone's life!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,088 Times in 12,620 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

I have read this story before and it has always touched my heart.
Thanks for reminding us of the importance of friendship!
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

rickymallory has shown a merry dispositionrickymallory has shown a merry dispositionrickymallory has shown a merry disposition
My long term friend's family broke up last year, His mum caused a whole load of trouble so my friend and his dad left and went to live at his nans place. He was pretty messed up all about it.

He even said to me about him ending it as he had nothing to live for, He said that a few times but I managed to snap him out of it and made him think in different ways about things.

My friend and his dad have got their own home now and a court settlement getting their stuff back. some of that stuff is mine as I let my friend borrow it once before his family broke up.

I most likely wont see that stuff anymore. When I said about it a couple of months ago he tried saying half of the stuff was his.

He uses me for things and I started to realize that in the end, He only wants to know me when he wants something from me, he bribes me and plays mind games until you give in and say "well have it".

We rarely see each other now, The last time I saw him was the end of August.

I got nothing out of helping him but for my help to be thrown back in my face. Helping somebody can go either way, it can build a good friendship or it can go the way my help did, and that was to drive the friendship apart through the other persons spite and greedyness.

The OP's story they posted, wherever it come from and no matter if it's true is truly touching nonetheless.
The Following User Says Thank You to rickymallory For This Useful Post: