Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,132
Threads: 54,248
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,728)
Welcome to our newest member, elf princess

Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

The Merry Marcils has shown a merry disposition
My wife and I spent the 2 Christmases before the last overnight at her parents (We've only been married 1 year 10 months), and she wakes up at 5 am and has trouble sleeping from teh excitement still (at 24).

I like to get up really early too but I'm usually very sleepy.

She wants to open gifts at 5:01 am but we usually have to wait for her sister and brother in law who arrive somehwere between 9 and 11 am.

Last year we showed up there at 8ish I think.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DayTek has shown a merry dispositionDayTek has shown a merry dispositionDayTek has shown a merry disposition
As a kid, I'd wake up every hour on the hour on Christmas Eve wondering if Santa had been there the hour before...LOL. And even though I was restless, 5 AM was some sort of cut-off for sleep, as I KNEW Santa had to have come by then.

I'd poke my brother awake and we'd take a small light and sneak down the stairs to feel if the stockings hanging on the banister were full. We'd try to shine the light to where the tree was, but never got a great look...we NEVER went down to the tree before getting our parents up...it was pre-mature if we did and we never considered it.

We'd head back to our beds and I'd sit up watching TV (but mostly watching the clock) until 6 AM came (Christmas morning when you are a child waiting for your parents to get up drags by sooo slowly!) I'd go get my brother again and we'd try to get our parents to wake up, but they'd usually send us back to bed and make us wait for at least 6:30.

When 6:30 came around, we'd get them up. We'd run downstairs and marvel at what Santa brought...my parents would put coffee on and then we'd open a present one person at a time (or else it goes too quickly!).

Practically ALL of my Christmases were like that until my brother (who is 4 years younger) got older...we still got up early though in our teens!

My husband and I get into bed before midnight Christmas Eve...I can usually sleep better now, sometimes making it the whole night, but even at 24 I can't sleep past 6:30!

Hubby and I are downstairs before 7 AM and begin to open things right away...It's interesting how we've mixed our routines...one person opens one gift while the other watches, like my family used to do and his didn't, and we do our stocking first, which we did last in my family.

I'm getting excited just thinking about all this!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

The Merry Marcils has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by DayTek View Post
I'd poke my brother awake and we'd take a small light and sneak down the stairs to feel if the stockings hanging on the banister were full. We'd try to shine the light to where the tree was,
This was always a tradition for me and my sibling too!
We'd find a small toy that lights up on Christmas Eve and use it for reading the name tags on the packages under the tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Merry Marcils For This Useful Post:
DayTek (12-20-2009)
Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

VeganChristmasBaby has shown a merry disposition
star

I love your reply DayTek - it reminds me of my childhood routines!

I'm the oldest of three, and I did everything I could to map out a proper "sneak downstairs" routine with my brother and sister. We always ended up planning one, but everyone never stayed up long enough to actually do it. I would find myself still awake in the middle of the night, wanting desperately to get the day started (I also happened to be born on Christmas, so it was a double whammy of joy for me). Usually, we were all up by 5:30 or 6:00 AM, and we'd creep down the stairs, in complete awe of how beautiful everything that Santa brought was. I remember it always being such a magical time.

Now that I'm older (going to be 26 this Christmas) and married (just got hitched in November), I think we'll probably sleep through the night and wake up early - but the funny thing is, my mom (aka Santa at large) still stays up all night - she loves it! It's hilarious to me - I'm a grown-up now, but my mom stills makes me write a note to Santa and leave cookies waiting for him! Gotta love moms.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeganChristmasBaby For This Useful Post:
DayTek (12-20-2009)
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,188 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
tree

I'm usually up by 6 a.m. and I always have to wake up my wife and daughter. We'll open gifts and then have a nice breakfast.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

dancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elfdancer_90 is a good elf
i get up any time between 7-9, sometimes my mum is up and sometimes she isn't but if she isn't i wake her up then go straightdown stairs to open presents. i always open a few of mine 1st then my mum opens a couple