Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,187 Times in 365 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
stocking

I like fruitcake if it's moist. I hated it when I was a kid.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

frostrabbit has shown a merry disposition
I don't like it, I really want to like it as my mom makes it every year and spends great time on it, and every year I try it and every year I never manage a second bite. It looks beautiful though and everyone else in the family enjoys it. I just stick to mince pies and choccie biccies instead!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,616 Times in 7,651 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Love fruitcake, but rarely have it.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Originally Posted by australia View Post
The English Christmas fruit cake is the best and has hunderds of years of tradition in UK families. Goggle under English Christmas cake for the recipe and do not forget to soak the dried fuit before making the cake.

Thank you for the tip. I think I will one day try to make fruitcake.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

judypancoast has shown a merry disposition
Lily's Fruitcake

Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Do you like it, or would you pass on it?
For about 20 years we received a home-made fruitcake every year from my mother-in-law. It was always delicious!
Two years ago she passed away just after Christmas and I froze her fruitcake. It remains in our freezer. I just can't bear to throw it out. It has survived power outages in a cooler on the deck in the snow, and has made it from the old refrigerator to the new one. I can't imagine ever throwing it out, and I doubt we will ever eat it. My great-grandchildren will probably have it passed on to them!!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Originally Posted by judypancoast View Post
For about 20 years we received a home-made fruitcake every year from my mother-in-law. It was always delicious!
Two years ago she passed away just after Christmas and I froze her fruitcake. It remains in our freezer. I just can't bear to throw it out. It has survived power outages in a cooler on the deck in the snow, and has made it from the old refrigerator to the new one. I can't imagine ever throwing it out, and I doubt we will ever eat it. My great-grandchildren will probably have it passed on to them!!

That is a nice way to keep her spirit alive, as well as her yummy fruitcake. Have you ever tried to make her receipe?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

judypancoast has shown a merry disposition
Fruitcake

Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
That is a nice way to keep her spirit alive, as well as her yummy fruitcake. Have you ever tried to make her receipe?
You know what, I never even thought of that! I'm not sure it exists anywhere in written form, but I'll try to track it down. Wish I'd asked her for it when she was still with us.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Christmasologist

Originally Posted by judypancoast View Post
You know what, I never even thought of that! I'm not sure it exists anywhere in written form, but I'll try to track it down. Wish I'd asked her for it when she was still with us.

Hope you are able to find it. Maybe if you do find it, you could make it for family, and friends that she used to give it out to too keep her memory alive .
The Following User Says Thank You to mommytotwo For This Useful Post:
Wen (01-07-2010)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

ChristmasRose has shown a merry dispositionChristmasRose has shown a merry disposition
holly

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I don't care for it, even though my parents were famous for their holiday fruitcakes. In a good way, I mean! I remember friends and neighbors about this time of year saying to them, "Remember to save me half a cake for Christmas!" My parents baked them on Thanksgiving Day, wrapped them in wine-soaked cloths and aluminum foil, and let them mellow in a refrigerator until near Christmas. I never tasted their fruitcake because when I was little, they used to tell me "you wouldn't like it." But I still remember how the house smelled when they were baking, and I have Mom's recipe, which I think came down through Dad's family.
What a wonderful tradition your parents had -- sharing their delicious fruitcakes with others. I'm definitely a fruitcake fan...!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,231 Times in 13,277 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
star

I love a well made fruit cake. Has to be dark, so loaded with fruit you can hardly tell there is cake there and soaked in rum.
Do not like those cheap ones you can buy that are more cake than fruit. (that is the kind that my brother and I keep trying to re-gift each other all year long!)