Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » How do I do Christmas w/o sugar?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, HVEKU

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Sapsorrow has shown a merry dispositionSapsorrow has shown a merry disposition
How do I do Christmas w/o sugar?

So it turns out I'm hypoglycemic and large doses of sugar send me into a devastating tail spin. All things considered, this explains how many holidays and celebrations in the past have gone awry. Today I had a pretty bad scare that's made me accept the diagnosis, but I have a dilemma: sweets have always been a big part of my celebrations. Our typical Christmas breakfast might have had a cup of sugar in it alone with iced cinnamon buns, chocolates from stockings, orange juice, and hot chocolate. I have to start from scratch on these and the mountains of Yuletide cakes and cookies. Nor can I simply substitute Splenda or another sweetener. Splenda and Nutrisweet don't agree with me. Licorice root just tastes awful to me. LOL, I also can't switch my vice to fat since grease will make me miserable too. No, my years of healthy living have only made me intolerant of unhealthy indulgences (so watch out if you're considering trying to clean up your act!).

But how do I make my Christmas menus special without the grease and sugar that I reserve for celebrations? Even granola is extremely sweet!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
For me, Christmas might be one of my better eating times of the year. I work in the candy business and, yes, there is some of that but hardly that much. We enjoy meats, seafood, cheeses and breads that we don't otherwise have the rest of the year.

In fact, there is so much variety that I have to just nibble here and there and just watch portions.

It can be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Sapsorrow (02-05-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

jimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoejimmyolsen would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
There are so many sugar substitutes out there now, maybe you can sample the alternatives in small doses, and find one that works.

I'd speak with a nutritionist. Talk to someone at an organic foods store. And possibly someone who teaches yoga. These are folks who are accustomed to fine tuning special needs diets.

At least now that you're aware of the issue, you can work toward resolving it in a positive way!
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyolsen For This Useful Post:
Sapsorrow (02-05-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,020 Times in 444 Posts
Bullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnogBullypup will NOT spit in your eggnog
As one who was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of years ago I can strongly relate to how you feel. As others have stated below, there are so many alternatives that you can still enjoy great meals and treats not only during Christmas but throughout the year. The amount of information and resources available is staggering. I would start with a nutritionist and work from there. The objective is to be around for many more Christmases to come so it is well worth time and trouble.

Oh my, she exclaims, her breath smoking the windowpane, it's fruitcake weather!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bullypup For This Useful Post:
Sapsorrow (02-05-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Instead of making Cinnamon buns on Christmas morning what about a casserole breakfest if your looking for something simple to make. We make a casserole of hashsbrowns, sausage, cheese and an egg mixture. It's quick and easy to make and very good.

You can still have sweets/desserts but opt for something with less sugar. I have learned to adjust recipes... replacing oil with unsweetened applesauce, reducing sugar or using reduced amounts of brown sugar in place of regular sugar.

There are many foods out there that are very savory and full of flavor. You have several months to research and test new recipes to use during your holidays.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Sapsorrow (02-05-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Sapsorrow has shown a merry dispositionSapsorrow has shown a merry disposition
I suppose I'm still trying to sweep the sugar issue under the rug for myself because I'd come read responses and not have a reply myself.

I think that I will simply accept Splenda for what it is, as my artificial sweetener of choice. It's really only large quantities that upset me, so I'll still end up having less sweet at the end of the day in order to avoid Splenda's unsplendid side effects. And if I'm going over to the dark side of artificial sweeteners, I think I'll opt for the nearly sacred cinnamon buns at breakfast, albeit smaller, less sweet, and artificially sweetened at that cinnamon buns, then having lots of cookies or a dessert later in the day.

Minta, Any other day of the year, savory breakfasts are great. We have unsweetened grits, coffee and apple slices for our regular breakfasts, then ham and eggs on Sundays, so we're no strangers to savory meals. However, I grew up with those cinnamon buns and I think I'll make my cuts elsewhere. Or, at least, I'll have a token cinnamon bun and savory food for the rest of breakfast, as my Dad now does (diabetes limits his sugar intake).

Jeff, It's funny now that you mention it, but I never realized how small a role sweets actually played in Christmas for me. I imagine that Christmas is a time of scarfing down sugar, but in reality I'd have cookies once or twice in the season, hot chocolate three or four times, cinnamon buns Christmas morning and some chocolate in my stocking. I can't remember any other sweets on Christmas or associated with Christmas.

Of course, I have a huge sweet tooth, at least in my mind's eye. While it's typically appples and oranges at most for dessert in our house, I still think of ice cream sundaes, old fashioned candies, cakes, cookies, whoopie pies and fancy sodas when I think of a good time. I guess that's better than some vices out there!

Bullypup, I appreciate your putting it into perspective. We are working with our doctor (my husband has been having similar trouble) and it looks like our diet is already pretty good. He did a double take when, asking what we fed our oldest child, kale and yam made it into the top ten foods. I'm truly puzzled how this happened, I thought we were doing everything right, but one week of some heavy sugar binging seems to have done real damage. Maybe it isn't permanent, but I won't take my chances.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Have you tried Agave? It's natural and it's the only sugar substitute that doesn't spike your blood sugar. Splenda is some nasty stuff and I'd avoid it!