Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Holidays Year Round » Which is the most pointless "holiday"??

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Holidays Year Round All other major holidays are discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,859
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,290)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 02-07-2010, 09:25 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
To say that its for the card company to make money, then you would have to say that Mothers/Fathers day would be the same as well as many holidays. I really think people make too big a deal out a holiday and what it might stand for. So we have a holiday where couples have an excuse to have a romantic night out or get their loved one some pretty flowers or chocs. When I hear people bad mouthing a holiday it usually has me thinking that maybe their husband or wife doesnt do these things or they dont want to have to make this extra effort to tell them how much they mean to them. My mother in law is ALWAYS saying how Christmas is so "commercialized" and blah blah blah and I tell her, "Its only as commercialized as you make it!" It may be a big money maker for Hallmark and the candy companies, but really.. does it matter? I dont have a clue about the Saint history.. I just enjoy the holiday for what it is. ♥love♥

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-05-2011), xmas365 (02-07-2010)

Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM

Last Achievements

JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
And no, we really dont "need" a set day to show the ones we love that we love them.. my husband shows me in a million ways every day. he calls me 4-5 times a day {just because or surprises me with a gift here and there} that may be ONE of the reasons we have been married many more years then most now a days ... BUT this is just another way to say "hey, I love you"

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-05-2011), xmas365 (02-07-2010)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Last Achievements

Oh and to this day, my oldest daughter has NO CLUE that it was me that was her "secret admirer" in 7th grade. She received a bunch of a balloons and a teddy bear from her "Secret Love"
She is now in the 11th grade in high school and still has no idea... so see.. this holiday can be very nice

{edited for typos}

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}

Last edited by JanaBanana; 02-07-2010 at 09:42 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-05-2011), Sapsorrow (02-08-2010), yolie8174 (04-25-2011)
Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,185 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Ok let me clue you in on my reason. For most of my adult life I was alone. I met my wife when I was 42, before then I never even got close to a long term relationship. And it wasn't for a lack of effort, I was asking girls out and going on dates, but I just could not seem to find the right one. So I gave up and started to think I was just meant to be alone.

But society doesn't like single people. Things like Vanletines day, TV, people I worked with and even my church at the time made me feel like a loser or I wasn't normal, just because I wasn't married or at least have a girlfriend. My church then always had functions and get togethers at people's houses, I was never included just because I wasn't married. They were always telling me I have to find someone, and start asking me why I don't have someone. One member even made a comment that I hated the idea of marriage, even as far as saying I don't like women.

I have also known men that would shower their wife with gifts on Valentines day, then later would find out they were cheating on her the whole time, and they ended up divorced. So showering each other with gifts doesn't prove anything either.

Now I am married, and I adore my wife more than anything else in the world. She is my entire world, nothing and nobody is more important to me. I am not rich by any means, I have a job that I drive a fork lift, it pays the bills, but that's about it. I don't have all that extra money to spend on flowers and surprise gifts all through the year. We do observe Valentines day, I will give her a card, and some inexpensive flowers. The day before also happens to be her birthday, so it is kind of a combined thing we do.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (03-05-2013), Christmasstar (02-05-2011), xmas365 (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 07:05 AM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 156,566 Times in 28,958 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have to agree with april fools day.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-05-2011), gabulldawg (02-05-2011)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Sapsorrow has shown a merry dispositionSapsorrow has shown a merry disposition
Groundhog Day burns me up. All those groundhog cards! It's so commercialized these days. And it's so harsh if you don't have a groundhog of your own. I felt like I was the only kid in school without a groundhog. One year my Mom gave me a hamster, but it wasn't the same thing. And I knew it was my Mom that gave it to me, so it didn't count. Now that I have a groundhog of my own, I think I can show my appreciation and we can take note of their shadow ANY day of the year. We resent the social pressure to observe my groundhog's shadow on this one particular day. It's just an excuse to sell cards and movies. /joke

Come to think of it, Groundhog Day really IS a pretty pointless holiday, but considering it isn't that commercialized at all, I suppose it doesn't raise anyone's ire. For the record, I also LOVE Groundhog Day. In fact I think I enjoy it twice as much as Valentine's Day.

I guess the whole contention about Valentine's Day is that there just doesn't seem to be a way to express that it isn't your cup of tea without sounding bitter. After all, how can anyone object to love? But the more that I read about Valentine's Day, the more interesting I find it and the more dedicated I am to keeping it up at home. That said, I also love the fact that people have made their own "Festivus" style reactions to Valentine's Day.

So we love it and keep it, and other people don't. That's great! (I confess, I've been lax in keeping Guy Fawke's Day, so clearly not every holiday does it for me.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapsorrow For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-05-2011)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,229 Times in 9,485 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by JanaBanana View Post
Oh and to this day, my oldest daughter has NO CLUE that it was me that was her "secret admirer" in 7th grade. She received a bunch of a balloons and a teddy bear from her "Secret Love"
She is now in the 11th grade in high school and still has no idea... so see.. this holiday can be very nice
That is a cute idea and sweet! I always gave my kids a little something every Valentines Day. Now I give my grandchildren stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
JanaBanana (02-08-2010)
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,327 Times in 13,288 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
[QUOTE=Sapsorrow;225882]Groundhog Day burns me up. All those groundhog cards! It's so commercialized these days. And it's so harsh if you don't have a groundhog of your own. I felt like I was the only kid in school without a groundhog.[QUOTE]
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,327 Times in 13,288 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
a holiday is what you make of it. If you don't like one then don't take part in it. If you do like it then celebrate with gusto!!!

I was thinking real hard about which one I think is pointless and could not think of a single one. I like anything that gives me an excuse to have fun, put up decorations, tell someone I love them etc etc etc

Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Christmasologist

Blue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elfBlue Christmas is a good elf
As For Me and My House, I'm voting valentines day...

Originally Posted by HolidayHoney View Post
To me it's Valentines Day....why invent a holiday to beat a young girls ego down???? ( or anyone for that matter) In the workplace or school, roses are delivered, and if you are single then there are no roses for you!! Even in elementary school this happens!!! I have sent flowers to kids before just to make sure they could "fit in". I'll shut up now.
And as for we spouses of non-romantic spouses, it's the pits... Comparing your relationships to other romantic couples celebrations. I have tried planning a celebration, but there's no reciprocity - my hubby completely ignores the day, giving me (the hopefully false impression) that I don't matter...