Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » When does your celebration begin?

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,648)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in July: A...
By MerryCarey
07-26-2011 08:26 AM
Last post by jimmyolsen
09-02-2011 09:32 PM
1 Posts
Xtree1 The Fir Tree
By MMC Editor
09-25-2011 07:00 AM
77,471 Views  0 Posts
stocking Santa Smoking: Why is...
By Jeff Westover
10-11-2012 08:10 AM
Last post by HollyJolly
09-02-2013 08:30 AM
42,330 Views  6 Posts
Gift 2 Yes, Virginia -- There...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 01:39 PM
0 Posts
My Santa Claus
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:41 PM
52,166 Views  0 Posts

Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry disposition
candle When does your celebration begin?

As much as I love October--fall, football, Halloween, classic scary movies..I admitt to squeezing some Christmas into it.

Here and there I'll start taking CDs out and back into my car, watching some select movies, dusting off the train set and just "getting ready".

A few days after Nov 1 I do the "little tree". A small 4ft white tree with red balls.

Then of course the day after Thanksgiving the big guns come out and everything gets put together, the little tree stays out of course.

As far as I'm concerned Thanksgiving is just a part of my Christmas celebration!!

Now that I've found this place in April--I might have ta' chalk this up to starting the celebration even earlier!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasKid77 For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (10-02-2012), Laney (10-07-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), merrymistletoe (11-16-2012)
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,467 Times in 910 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
I will watch a christmas movie or listen to christmas music anytime through out the year when the mood strikes me which happens alot. LOL!

Thanksgiving weekend is the big kick off to the Christmas season for us. We will let the kids put up their tree in their bedroom between Halloween and Thanksgiving and we may start putting up the outide decoration the weekend before Thanksgiving but the rest of the inside decorations and outside lights do not go up and get turned on until Thanksgiving weekend.

We enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving. We also decorate for those holidays as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Yes, we also start on Thanksgiving. It's been a tradition to do that for many years now...about 14 years actually.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,001 Times in 26,496 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Our tradition was always to decorate the day after thanksgiving. Last year after joining this wonderful site I was to excitied to wait and stuff started sneaking out the weekend after halloween.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by made582 View Post
Our tradition was always to decorate the day after thanksgiving. Last year after joining this wonderful site I was to excitied to wait and stuff started sneaking out the weekend after halloween.

I hear ya, the message board is ALREADY making me want to start christmas now as is Heh.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,265 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For me, November 1, with Halloween safely behind, makes it open season for bringing out the music, movies, and literature. The decorations follow after Thanksgiving.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 69,992 Times in 13,915 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Well I take down the Halloween decorations Nov.1, if possible. Then a few days later I start decorating inside and out get everything up and ready by Thanksgiving except for the trees, set those up as a family event the day after Thanksgiving and turn everything on that same day.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,367 Times in 9,026 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Christmas in July! I start getting the Christmas fever stronger than ever when QVC airs their Christmas in July program and Hallmark introduces their new ornaments.

As far as decorating, it starts November 1st and takes several days. The outdoor decor get set out after Thanksgiving.

I agree with you about Thanksgiving, it's just as big for me as Christmas Day itself. It feels like another Christmas Day for me with the Thanksgiving Day parade introducing Santa. Then we watch the football game, Go Cowboys! The day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, the malls are filled with Christmas activities. We don't really shop, we just love the crowds and Christmasy things going on.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (05-01-2010), made582 (05-01-2010)
Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 26,368 Times in 4,395 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Well, the lights are usually up here on Halloween, but they aren't turned on until Thanksgiving. I just don't like doing it in the cold weather. The day after Halloweeen, I usually take down all the decorations from Halloween and put up all the Christmas inside decor except for the tree. That in itself is another night and usually takes place two weekends before Thanksgiving. The weekend before Thanksgiving, we have a date night where we go grocery shopping and out to eat. But it all REALLY starts on Thanksgiving.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

wow, seems majority of people start before, on or right after Thanksgiving. I guess I am not early after all and everyone else is late hehe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
made582 (05-02-2010)