Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » what is your oldest decoration?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,129
Threads: 54,229
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,429)
Welcome to our newest member, EQLT

Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,983 Times in 9,777 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have some vintage ornaments from the 50's that I bought through ebay several years ago but obviously does not have sentimental value since it's not from my family.

The oldest ornament I have from my family is a little felt angel that is 35 years old. I remember going to a 5 & 10 store with my mom and picked it out. It brings back memories every time I unpack my Christmas ornaments.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)

Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster

Sapsorrow has shown a merry dispositionSapsorrow has shown a merry disposition
We have a small box of salt dough ornaments that my husband's long late mother (she was killed by a drunk driver when he was quite young) had handmade. She was a very crafty woman by all accounts. The ornaments are ugly as sin, not our style, and sadly falling apart, but we love them and put them in a place of honor. We also have a beautiful ceramic tree she painted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapsorrow For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,787 Times in 1,185 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I have an ornament that I have no idea how old it is. It has been in the family since before I was born. I posted pictures if it before in here, but I don't have the pics in my puter anymore. It as a ball with the front indented and inside the dented in part is a snowman and a tree next to him. I am guessing it is from the 40s or 50s, it always gets a spot right in front on the tree.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

G.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoeG.Bailey would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
My oldest ornament is a paper Snoopy & Woodstock one. Got it out of a loaf of Wonder bread back in 73 or 74. It graces my family's tree and my mom points it out to me every year, that this was mine. Funny how happy I get when I see it. I still remember pulling it out of that loaf of bread and I still get just as excited. Can't imagine Wonder adding Christmas ornaments to there bread now for fear of a lawsuit. Sad...
The Following User Says Thank You to G.Bailey For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,166 Times in 15,259 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I think it is a windup musical piece of Santa kneeling over the Baby Jesus
Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 164,184 Times in 31,324 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have my grandmas Christmas village that she used to put out every year. My mom said they had it when she was young so it is probably from the 60's. I don't display it anymore because I don't have the room but it is packed away in the attic. I also have several ornaments that were my grandmas and grandpas that I still use every year.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,941 Times in 3,823 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
i got nothing really old...the oldest is have is around 16 years old....it´s a little christmassy house u can put a candle in.....I bought it when I was 12 or 13

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,899 Times in 4,656 Posts
ballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintballcoach leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I think my oldest decoration is an ornament that I have. It is an ornament that I made back in grade school and my mom let me have it when I put up my first tree. It's made of string and there is nothing special about it, but it is special to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ballcoach For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Can you believe my mom got rid a bunch of xmas ornaments we made when we were kids?! I could have yelled at her!! There are a few things from when I was a kid, but most of it is gone now. I wanted to keep my pinecone with glitter on it from 2nd grade... Hopefully my niece will make me one when she is a few years older and I can hold onto that one forever. I think what I am going to do each year is buy ONE special ornament so that way it can have memories. I have also been thinking about picking up some vintage shiny brites as well. It may have been someone elses ...but I think its nice to reuse them for your own Christmas traditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
Annette1990 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger

ChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasKid77 has shown a merry disposition
I have a ball that was from my grandmother's tree--its plastic but looks wrought iron--it has a blue-ish, silver tint to it and never chipped or faded, it's still really nice looking.

My mom said she remembers it from when she was a kid so I'm assuming it's been around since atleast the early 60's.

Because of all of that it is actually my favorite ornament--I hang it just bellow my star, in front of the tree and just above a larger glass ornament that has a Nativity Scene inside.