Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Member-Only Group Forums > Book Cottage » Book club suggestions?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Book Cottage Click here to visit this social group

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Christmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnogChristmas24/7 will NOT spit in your eggnog
Book club suggestions?

I'm in charge of choosing the book for book club during the holidays. (A Christmas book, of course). Does anyone have any recommendations of great Christmas books. We did Dickens "A Christmas Carol" last year. I just finished reading "The Christmas List" by Richard Paul Evans. I really liked it, but one of the characters in the book dies of cancer, and with 2 women in our book club battling cancer, I'm not sure that's the best choice. I also recently read "The Christmas Sweater" by Glen Beck and that is a possibility. I like Grisham's Skipping Christmas, so that's another possibility. Our book club is fairly conservative so I'd like to avoid anything with obscene language or story lines.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,289 Times in 5,925 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
If you're ever looking for a short and sweet Christmas tale, I always recommend "The Christmas Angel" by Abbie Farwell Brown. It was first published in 1910, but it's an oldie that's a real goodie. I discovered it last year. It's available online here, and if you like audiobooks, there's an audio version here. Here's the synopsis:

"Disagreeable old Miss Terry spends her Christmas Eve getting rid of toys from her childhood toy box. One by one she tosses them onto the sidewalk in front of her house, then secretly watches the little scenes that occur, which seem to confirm her belief that true Christmas spirit does not exist. Then the Angel from her childhood Christmas tree appears to show Miss Terry that she has not yet witnessed the final act of each of those little dramas...

Living Age magazine in 1910 observed of The Christmas Angel, "Not since Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever has there been a prettier Christmas story written, one more full of the real spirit of Christmas or conveying a more seasonable lesson."

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmas24/7 (08-03-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Jeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnog
Skipping Christmas was agood book. Funny, but not silly.