Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Halloween » Does anyone else dislike Halloween....

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Halloween Real Halloween
Spooks hover here! Presented by Real Halloween.com, our own site of all things Halloween, this merry section of the forum is dedicated to talking about our ideas, plans, thoughts and observations of a great day of Fall that just happens to lead right into the Christmas season.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,835
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Does anyone else dislike Halloween....

and not for religious reasons? When I was a kid, I used to LOVE dressing up and go Trick-or-Treating either with just my sisters and me or a BIG group of us neighborhood kids with some parents in tow. My best Halloween costume was probably in 1988 when I was 8 years old--I was a punk rocker!

I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older or because the times have changed or because I don't have any kids of my own but....I'm just not a fan of Halloween anymore. Sure, if I lived in a place that allowed trick-or-treaters I'd love to pass out candy to kids. Unfortuntely, I don't (2nd story in a security locked apartment). Also, I have a SUPER over-active imagination and I ALWAYS have to cover my eyes when commercials air during the month of October. (Because I live in FL, they are always advertising for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights and those are TRULY frightening!)

Am I the only one or have I turned into a Halloween Scroge? Do you think I might change once I start a family?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimothy For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), lauriebear (08-25-2011), Santa's Helper (08-22-2010), sugar142286 (08-31-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,468 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
I'm not as huge a fan as I was but my reason is because I was attacked one year when I was about 9 or 10. My friend and I had separated from her mom and sister because I wanted to show my other friend's aunt what I looked like (I'd gone as a geisha and she's loaned me her real kimono). What my friend and I didn't realise is that we were being followed by 3 guys - late teens I would say. The houses we went to, they went to; the houses we skipped, they skipped.

Anyway, long story short and a few cuts and bruises later, I was in a torn kimono with no Unicef box and no candy. I don't think I've ever seen my parents so upset. Got my first and only ride in a police car though and I found out who my real friends were because they each gave me a share of their candy to make up for the loss.

After that, tuck me up with a bowl of popcorn and a good ghost story - no blood and guts, thank you!!

Gotta say though, even if trick or treating is off the table, dressing up your little one as something is brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,911 Times in 9,427 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Kimothy View Post
and not for religious reasons? When I was a kid, I used to LOVE dressing up and go Trick-or-Treating either with just my sisters and me or a BIG group of us neighborhood kids with some parents in tow. My best Halloween costume was probably in 1988 when I was 8 years old--I was a punk rocker!

I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older or because the times have changed or because I don't have any kids of my own but....I'm just not a fan of Halloween anymore. Sure, if I lived in a place that allowed trick-or-treaters I'd love to pass out candy to kids. Unfortuntely, I don't (2nd story in a security locked apartment). Also, I have a SUPER over-active imagination and I ALWAYS have to cover my eyes when commercials air during the month of October. (Because I live in FL, they are always advertising for Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights and those are TRULY frightening!)

Am I the only one or have I turned into a Halloween Scroge? Do you think I might change once I start a family?
I love Halloween but I do know some who don't care for it. It's a personal choice if someone doesn't like it. You might like it better when you have kids or if you ever move somewhere that you can pass out candy. Anyway, at least we are all here for the love of Christmas!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), lauriebear (08-25-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,061 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Even as a child...I disliked Halloween. I actually used to get so anxious (in a bad way) about it that I would give myself a migraine!

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-21-2010), lauriebear (08-25-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,303 Times in 610 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
=)

I love all the holidays.... there are different ways to embrace them all and find great ways to enjoy......
Adam (08-22-2010), caninemom3 (08-21-2010), Courtney (08-29-2010), DoubleA (08-22-2010), ILuvChristmas (08-23-2010), JanaBanana (08-21-2010), judesmama (08-24-2010), lauriebear (08-23-2011), loksi (08-22-2011), momnan30 (08-23-2011), Spyells (10-14-2011), sugar142286 (08-31-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 PM
*The Christmas Queen* -- Hostess, Real Halloween.com

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,113 Times in 546 Posts
JanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the treeJanaBanana you could wrap up and put under the tree
As a mother to many I enjoy it! I decorate but not gore. Halloween is what YOU make of it. Just like when my inlaw's once told me.. "Christmas is too commercialized." My reply to them is "Its only as commercialized as YOU make it"
I enjoy picking out the costumes for my kidlets In fact, my youngest just tried on her's today. And I do have to say she is going to be the CUTEST little bumble bee ever.

♥Jana's Creations♥
{My photography Blog}
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JanaBanana For This Useful Post:
Adam (08-22-2010), Bradmac (08-26-2010), caninemom3 (08-22-2010), ILuvChristmas (08-23-2010), judesmama (08-24-2010), lauriebear (08-23-2011), loksi (08-22-2011), momnan30 (08-23-2011), rodmonster (08-21-2010), Santa's Helper (08-22-2010), Snow-in-Texas (08-24-2010), Solice (08-22-2010), Spyells (10-14-2011)
Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,277 Times in 5,922 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
We're not huge fans of Halloween. We hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, but we don't do much decoration or dressing in costumes. We DO love a creaky old monster movie around Halloween, though. My favorite is "The Devil Bat." We're much more fond of Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,177 Times in 418 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I dislike that living in the country we had to drive into town to trick or treat when I was a kid lol.
But I do enjoy every holiday too and cant miss watching "Ghost Hunters" live!
loksi (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2010, 05:05 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Good Lord, Mo! Did the guys ever get caught? I bet your Dad tracked them down didn't he?
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
I'm not as huge a fan as I was but my reason is because I was attacked one year when I was about 9 or 10. My friend and I had separated from her mom and sister because I wanted to show my other friend's aunt what I looked like (I'd gone as a geisha and she's loaned me her real kimono). What my friend and I didn't realise is that we were being followed by 3 guys - late teens I would say. The houses we went to, they went to; the houses we skipped, they skipped.

Anyway, long story short and a few cuts and bruises later, I was in a torn kimono with no Unicef box and no candy. I don't think I've ever seen my parents so upset. Got my first and only ride in a police car though and I found out who my real friends were because they each gave me a share of their candy to make up for the loss.

After that, tuck me up with a bowl of popcorn and a good ghost story - no blood and guts, thank you!!

Gotta say though, even if trick or treating is off the table, dressing up your little one as something is brilliant!!!!!!!!!
Maureen (08-22-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
I'm not a huge fan of Halloween as an adult. I liked it when I was a kid, going trick or treating and costume parties at school and the parade in town. I won 1st place at school and in the town's parade!! But the older I get the less I like it because of the crap that comes with it. People decorate and kids destroy it. Devil's night makes me nervous that my car will get egged or keyed or sugar in the tank. I'll be getting a locking gas cap this year since I'm in an apartment complex with lots of kids.

When I lived in a neighborhood I liked to dress my dog up and pass out candy but I haven't had trick or treaters in 10 years. Maybe this year in the apartment building I'll get to pass out candy, who knows. I just hope that kids leave other people's property alone and learn to enjoy themselves without destruction and costly repairs to someone's car or home.

So to answer this question.....No! I'm not a fan of Halloween!! haha!!!

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story