Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

TV For any child of the 1960s (and later) Christmas just wouldn't be the same without television. Talk Christmas on the tube here, brought to us and constantly updated by the most comprehensive Christmas television resource online, MerryChristmasTV.net.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Nativity Story...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 08:49 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
12-01-2013 06:14 PM
53,862 Views  1 Posts
Wreaths: Eternity's...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:28 PM
50,441 Views  0 Posts
The Story of Black Peter
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:49 PM
Last post by Angioni
09-16-2012 09:19 AM
1 Posts
Christmas Tree Safety
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:51 PM
45,244 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:16 PM
51,475 Views  0 Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Ctm

Christmas TV Memories....

What was the first Christmas TV Special or episode you remember watching as a child, what decade was it in, and what is your memory of it?

MOVIE:
I seem to remember the Grinch, Rudolph, and Charlie Brown...all at the same time in my life...maybe they were on the same week...=)... But the one that sticks in my head the most was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

DECADE:
Early 70s

MEMORY:
I remember relating to him...my middle name is Rodney....and i was picked on even before kindergarten because of my eye issues...long story there...i have long since learned to adapt and live with it...but back then - i totally related and want badly to be his best friend....=)
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,269 Times in 5,590 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
That would have to be the Rankin-Bass "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." I remember loving the song Clarice sang to Rudolph, and thinking her father was very unfair to punish her for being kind. When I was very small, I was a little nervous of the Bumble Snow Monster. Hard to say when I first saw it, as I was a baby when it was first telecast. It's possible that I saw the first telecast without knowing it! (And if you REALLY want to show your age, use the word "telecast" ... )

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ChristmasHeart (08-19-2010), rodmonster (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." [Rankin-Bass version]
It was in the 80's, and while my mother was out shopping I remember my brother and I coloring at the coffee table and watching it while a pinkish glow from the Christmas tree lit the room. Rudolph was something I had to try to watch every year as a child, it was something I could count on at holiday time, especially when/if things weren't picture perfect.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-19-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-19-2010), rodmonster (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I was born in 1982 and I remember Frosty the Snowman and Mickey's Christmas Carol the most when I was young. I hadnt seen Mickey's Christmas Carol for quite some time and I found it on VHS a few years back at a Good Will store.. as soon as I heard that song at the beginning I got goosebumps...ahhh brought back so many memories!

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsChristmas For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-19-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-19-2010), rodmonster (08-18-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,161 Times in 408 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
MOVIE:
I have to go with either Rudolph or Frosty out of the Rankin and Bass collection

DECADE:
mid to late 80s

MEMORY:
We did not watch Christmas movies that often so when Christmas eve would come around we would always turn these movies on with the fire going in the living room. I can remember sitting there so excited that Christmas was about to come and I was watching a movie about the lead reindeer who was going to visit me that night. We watched 2 movies so the fire had time to cool off before Santa came. Then I can remember trying to sleep and listening for anything that sounded like a reindeer on the roof.
Those were my first tastes of Christmas movies and I will always look back on them and think of my little family time.
caninemom3 (08-19-2010), ChristmasHeart (08-19-2010), rodmonster (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,060 Posts
ChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the WisemenChristmasHeart could be one of the Wisemen
Oh my...what a SUPER thread, Rod!!!

And as I read everyone's responses...I honestly couldn't help but have a smile on my face and warmth in my heart!

As for me...I cannot really pinpoint a specific date or even a specific show - but it had to be the '70s, and I have always remembered watchtin Rudolf, Frosty, the Grinch, Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

I remember as a young girl (oh...and even now)...every year my eyes would be pealed for the first Christmas show to appear on TV! Oh...and the excitement I would have when it happened!!!

In those days we did not have VCRs or DVD machines - so we would have to wait for the TV-peiple to show them. Isn't it wonderful that we can watch them now whenever we want to!!!

As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is."
~ Eric Sevareid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasHeart For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (08-19-2010), rodmonster (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,762 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I guess it is Rudolph for me too. Had to be the late 60s. I don't have any specific memories of it though.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,445 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

A Charlie Brown Christmas. It was of course the 1960s and I was maybe 10 or 11. My mother always watched it with me every year. Even when I was "grown up" she still watched Charlie Brown with me. When Linus quotes the Bible I still get very teary eyed as he explains what it is all about.

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
rodmonster (08-19-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Bumping up!

Bumping up!